This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transferring photos/scans out of Photos app

I will be jumping to Reunion 11 in a day or two. I will also be moving from iPhoto to Photos. I've used iPhoto for years with Reunion. LeisterPro no longer recommends that. I suspect I have more than a thousand linked photos and scans. Should I move everything out of iPhoto/Photos and relink? In other words, does anyone have a suggestion, if possible at all, on how to unlink all of these and relink them outside of iPhoto/Photos? Is it even a good idea at all? Any organization methodologies appreciated, too.
    Eli Savada
    Bethesda MD

R11.0.3, ReunionTouch, 2x2 2.8 GHx Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 10.7.5

Re: Transferring photos/scans out of Photos app

I have my more recent (digitally taken) photos in iPhoto but I periodically run them out as JPG files to an external disk drive so that I am not dependent on the proprietary "blob o' photos" file that Apple creates. (I've been burned too many times by depending on proprietary format files that become inaccessible later.)

I do not link any of my photos or media from iPhoto. I have everything in JPG, PNG, and TIFF files in folders on my computer using a naming convention like this:

MENDENHALLMarieLilBettyCarrieDoraMickey5Apr1942.jp g

I have the originals (right of the scanner) in a folder called Original Photos, organized by where the physical photos are located (boxes, albums, other people, etc.) I have copies of all of them in another folder (Processed Photos) where I have sometimes cleaned them up or edited them. In this folder they are stored in nested folders based on the common ancestral couple. So, my mom and dad and their kids (myself included before I was married) are in a folder. My brother and sister's photos are in that folder as well as pictures of their kids. Inside my parents' folder are a folder for each of their parents. My mom's baby pictures are in the one for her parents along with pictures of them (marriage and beyond) and any cousins who share them as ancestors. And so on with each successive generation nested in folders all the way up the tree. Using this system I can find a photo pretty quickly most of the time. I link from Reunion to the files in the Processed Photos folders.

Don

Comment

Re: Transferring photos/scans out of Photos app

Originally posted by donworth View Post
      I have my more recent (digitally taken) photos in iPhoto but I periodically run them out as JPG files to an external disk drive so that I am not dependent on the proprietary "blob o' photos" file that Apple creates. (I've been burned too many times by depending on proprietary format files that become inaccessible later.)

I do not link any of my photos or media from iPhoto. I have everything in JPG, PNG, and TIFF files in folders on my computer using a naming convention like this:

MENDENHALLMarieLilBettyCarrieDoraMickey5Apr1942.jp g

I have the originals (right of the scanner) in a folder called Original Photos, organized by where the physical photos are located (boxes, albums, other people, etc.) I have copies of all of them in another folder (Processed Photos) where I have sometimes cleaned them up or edited them. In this folder they are stored in nested folders based on the common ancestral couple. So, my mom and dad and their kids (myself included before I was married) are in a folder. My brother and sister's photos are in that folder as well as pictures of their kids. Inside my parents' folder are a folder for each of their parents. My mom's baby pictures are in the one for her parents along with pictures of them (marriage and beyond) and any cousins who share them as ancestors. And so on with each successive generation nested in folders all the way up the tree. Using this system I can find a photo pretty quickly most of the time. I link from Reunion to the files in the Processed Photos folders.

Don
      I pretty much follow this mode for photos and sources. I maintain three folders called Genealogy-Photos, Genealogy-Tombstones, and Genealogy-Documents and use the .jpg, .pdf and tiff suffixes for the files. I have Reunion > Multimedia pointing to those three files for all my 2000+ sources (totally digitized as .pdf via years of scanning) and 4000+ photos (.jpg for the most part). So far it seems to be working just fine on my MAC and the data is incorporated into the new ReunionTouch data I maintain on my iPAD. This seems to work through the various versions of Reunion and so far I'm satisfied with the results. Not very elaborate, but if it works, the better.

Comment

Working...
      X