This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notes

I have imported a small Gedcom that has reaped havoc with the notes in my file... it has the same note on all the imported Baird records... I have edited it appropriately on the correct person however when I save it it reappears on his wife then random descendants.

I have created a new note kind called Biography where I tried to edit it.

When I delete the note on the wrong person it also deletes the note on the correct person and reappears as a note with the letters SDK in the text of the note.

I love reunion, but am beginning to fear that it may have a serious problem and if it's removing and deleting my narratives I am most disturbed.

I will gladly provide my family file... I have attached the GEDcom I imported as mtnmemories.txt rename it to a GED and you will see it.

I am also placing a zip copy of my family file here

I'm hoping this is just me... I've also experienced a few crashes here and there but the program always starts without incident. I have rebuilt the cache but see no options to check the data's integrity or repair the whole file.

Thanks much

Allen
    Attached Files

Re: Notes: Bug in Reunion 11 Notes

How are you deleting the biography note?

To delete a note from one person, you select the note field in the list of notes at the left, and click the "Delete Note" button

You can also delete every occurence of a note in the family file. To do this you'd choose Reunion > Preferences, click the fields button, click the person button, click Note, select the note (in this case "Biography") and click the "Delete Biography" button.

It sounds like you're doing the latter when you want to do the former.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
      How are you deleting the biography note?

To delete a note from one person, you select the note field in the list of notes at the left, and click the "Delete Note" button

You can also delete every occurence of a note in the family file. To do this you'd choose Reunion > Preferences, click the fields button, click the person button, click Note, select the note (in this case "Biography") and click the "Delete Biography" button.

It sounds like you're doing the latter when you want to do the former.
      No I am definately deleting the note from the person's screen.

I just exported a GEDCOM file and imported to a new Reunion file.

Created a note on Jessie Baird who is the oldest ancestor in that line and it is appearing several generations down on Ada Baird.

There is something strange in the notes... I'm not comfortable with doing any further data entry concerning notes. I think it's in the program... I can continue adding facts and all, but it's going to be a drag having to go back after the fact and add notes.

I'm hoping someone from Leister checks in tomorrow... so disappointed Reunion has energized my mac genealogy hopes.

Allen

Comment

Think that I recognize the problem of AlPrunty.
        Some genealogy programs have 'linked notes', meaning the same note is linked to several people or family.
        According the gedcom it is possible and allowed to have 'linked notes' with a pointer set.
        Perhaps Legacy (the program you came from), use those 'linked note fields'
        Changing something in one note field gives also a change in other linked note fields.

Only Leister can 'unlink' those unwanted 'multiple linked notes'.
        Last edited by fjvanbodegom; 25 May 2015, 02:28 AM.
        Frans van Bodegom
        Reunion NL Support Team

Comment

Originally posted by fjvanbodegom View Post
          Think that I recognize the problem of AlPrunty.
          Some genealogy programs have 'linked notes', meaning the same note is linked to several people or family.
          According the gedcom it is possible and allowed to have 'linked notes' with a pointer set.
          Perhaps Legacy (the program you came from), use those 'linked note fields'
          Changing something in one note field gives also a change in other linked note fields.

Only Leister can 'unlink' those unwanted 'multiple linked notes'.
          Not the case I am copying and pasting text from source files into my program... the notes are replicating throughout my reunion file.

Allen

Comment

Sorry to hear that my explanation was not clear enough.

I made a straight import from the gedcom you have added (mtnmemories)
            Look at ID 59 (Lewis Milliard Baird) married with ID 20 (Mary Ann Perkins)
            The note field contain exact the same info
            Change in person ID 59 (ex) alprunty (dot) com. to: XXYYZZ
            and see this is also present in ID 20

The gedcom import 'forces' Reunion to make the links to notes as they are in the gedcom.
            When you copy-paste text parts in that note field, this is present on ALL your records.
            That is (in my opinion) because the imported gedcom forces Reunion (internal) to make those links.

The sentence: 'For more information contact me at allen' is only once present as a: 0 @DWNLNOTE@ NOTE and every person has a 1 NOTE @DWNLNOTE@

Some editing to this specific gedcom (before importing) should solve the problem, but I am sure Leister can help you.
            Last edited by fjvanbodegom; 25 May 2015, 06:25 AM.
            Frans van Bodegom
            Reunion NL Support Team

Comment

Working...
            X