This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Places

Initially, when I set up 'Places' I used the full spellings for 'City, County, State, Country' format. Because I spent hours and hours cleaning up my Places file in Reunion 9/10 to conform to this methodology, I am reluctant to again consider changes. My dilemma is that the 'Geo' format tends to generally truncate a Place to to read 'City, Abbreviated State, ZIP' if in the USA - with a county thrown in occasionally.

What do users of Reunion 11 think of using the Geo coding offered? The thoughts of a mass change are pretty daunting when 4000 places are in file. Just curious.

Re: Places

Good question, sgtbob. I am wondering that too now that you mentioned it.
    2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Comment

Originally posted by sgtbob View Post
      Initially, when I set up 'Places' I used the full spellings for 'City, County, State, Country' format. Because I spent hours and hours cleaning up my Places file in Reunion 9/10 to conform to this methodology, I am reluctant to again consider changes. My dilemma is that the 'Geo' format tends to generally truncate a Place to to read 'City, Abbreviated State, ZIP' if in the USA - with a county thrown in occasionally.

What do users of Reunion 11 think of using the Geo coding offered? The thoughts of a mass change are pretty daunting when 4000 places are in file. Just curious.
      If you "Get Coordinates", Reunion preserves the place name as you have it entered.

E.g I just did

Ann Arbor, Washtenaw Co., Michigan USA

as I have it entered. When I clicked on the "Get" button the map opened with "Ann Arbor, MI, USA" showing, and there are two buttons - "Get Name and Coordinates" and "Get Coordinates". The second one preserves the name the way you have entered it.

Roger
      Roger Moffat
      http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
      http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
        If you "Get Coordinates", Reunion preserves the place name as you have it entered.

E.g I just did

Ann Arbor, Washtenaw Co., Michigan USA

as I have it entered. When I clicked on the "Get" button the map opened with "Ann Arbor, MI, USA" showing, and there are two buttons - "Get Name and Coordinates" and "Get Coordinates". The second one preserves the name the way you have entered it.

Roger
        Roger - Thanks for the explanation. I checked your suggestion and it works as you indicate; however, what is an acceptable rendition of Places so that I will not have to contemplate re-doing Places when another version comes out? I have entered quite a number of Cemetery locations that get changed if I elect the 'Get Name and Coordinates' option, but do retain my entry if selecting 'Get Coordinates' only. I rather like having 'Jones Cemetery, Erwin, Unicoi, Tennessee, USA' as opposed to 'Unicoi, TN, 12345, but wonder how my selection will be affected in future version of Reunion.

What are the advantages/disadvantages in accepting 'either' option? Sort of presents a personal dilemma.

What does Leicester recommend?
        Last edited by sgtbob; 17 May 2015, 07:15 AM. Reason: added after thought

Comment

Originally posted by sgtbob View Post
          ...re-doing Places when another version comes out?...
          There's no reason you'd need to "re-do" places with future upgrades.
          ...I rather like having 'Jones Cemetery, Erwin, Unicoi, Tennessee, USA' as opposed to 'Unicoi, TN, 12345...
          Use whatever syntax you prefer. As Roger said, just use the Get Geo Code feature to grab the coordinates and don't bother using the place name that google suggests.
          Frank Leister
          Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Sounds good to me for future use; however, I had begun to change my Places and had worked through the A's and B's when this thought hit me. Now to re-visit those changed ones.

Comment

Working...
            X