X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Add new Notes fields...?

Originally posted by Frank View Post
    Hi Susan, I'm glad you posted this. It's a good example for those desiring to record lots of text. And even for those with not so much text to record.

Occasionally, a user will bump into the 64,000 character limit of a single note field. When this happens, chances are very good that a bit of parsing, such as you've done, would avoid any limit.

In addition, your model provides the means to select the note fields you want and don't want in reports. When a single catch-all note field contains any and all topics, sometimes you find that there are topics and comments that you don't really want in a particular report. Parsing notes also creates similar flexibility when creating family views, exporting data, etc.
    Frank,
    Thank you very much for adding your perspective on reasons for creating more notes. Thanks also for your kind comments to me about the "model" I created!
    Susan

Comment

Re: Add new Notes fields...?

Originally posted by sdengle View Post
      Yes, I have used Logs in the past but not recently - some are reminders/explanations to myself for how and why I did something in my family tree. Here is a merge of screen shots (using Grab and PhotoshopElements) of my first 6 notes with note name and GEDCOM tag. I avoided the use of the letters I and O as the final letter to avoid confusion with numerals.

Susan
      Susan,

Thanks so much for the combined screenshots! Really clarified your system. Appreciate the help.

Kaye
      Kaye Mushalik
      -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
      -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
      -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Working...
      X