X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Setting up Census Sources

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
    Kathy C.,

YES! This is how I want my census citations to look! I'm almost there! Now I know how to do it!
    Thanks so much!

Kaye
    I'm pleased that I could help someone! This way works for me. The sources and citations export well via gedcom to any other genealogy app AND I don't end up with multiple sources for the same census. It took a bit of work to convert all my census sources over to this changed way, but I'm very pleased with it! It was well worth the effort.
    Kathy
    Reunion 13
    MacBook Air, Mac OS 13.5.2

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy C View Post
      It seems me that this whole issue of census, event or source, and how the source and citation is recorded differs with everyone. It just depends on how you want to display your data and record it.

I started out years ago, recording each bit of census data as an event and each one had its own source and citation. So, I ended up with hundreds of citations, many for the same year, location, etc. that perhaps only differed by family or page. Not what I wanted.

So, I created a new census source for each year..... Each one shows only two fields for export gedcom purposes: TITL, PUBL. So my citation looks like this: 1940 United States Federal Census; Ancestry.com, online image

I put the rest of the citation into the Detail field (T627, Hayward, Alameda Co., California, enumeration district (ED) 1-36, sheet 16A, John Flower household) I use Ancestry a lot for census data and just copy and paste their citation detail and add in the household or person of interest.

The resulting citation: 1940 United States Federal Census, Ancestry.com online image, T627, Hayward, Alameda Co., California, enumeration district (ED) 1-36, sheet 16A, John Flower household.
      Yes! That is exactly the same issue that I ran into, Kathy... I had such a mess with all these census sources and since I am starting over fresh, from the ground up, I am going to do it your way. It sounds like it would work for me and it's simple. Perfect. KISS.... That's my motto this go round.

One question (for now anyway): So you download all the census'? Do you attach them to each family? I am not sure how I want to handle that part of it. Or print it out? Do a transcript and not keep the census?? What's working for you?

Thank you so much for sharing this. I feel like I can move on! Judy
      2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Comment

Originally posted by mrstucci View Post
        Yes! That is exactly the same issue that I ran into, Kathy... I had such a mess with all these census sources and since I am starting over fresh, from the ground up, I am going to do it your way. It sounds like it would work for me and it's simple. Perfect. KISS.... That's my motto this go round.

One question (for now anyway): So you download all the census'? Do you attach them to each family? I am not sure how I want to handle that part of it. Or print it out? Do a transcript and not keep the census?? What's working for you?

Thank you so much for sharing this. I feel like I can move on! Judy
        Judy ..... Yes I pretty much download all the census data that I find on my direct line. I only download any collaterals that are deemed important to me. I file those in surname folders on my computer: Surnames>Jones>Abraham Jones>Census

I do attach them as multimedia to the applicable family in Reunion. I used to add them as multimedia to the source itself, but with using my method and with so many events using, say, the 1930 United States Federal Census source, it would be too confusing.

I never print anything out. I decided to go with digital organization a few years back and rely on those digital copies. Everything goes on my computer. I have a good backup plain in place that uses two different hard drives so I'm confident my data is safe. I don't see any reason to print things out, duplicate my efforts, and take up precious space in my office. Some people prefer paper still, but I'm not one of them. I DO extract the census data, though. I put that in the census memo field because I like to know who was in each household at a particular time. So, this is an example of what I put in my memo field for a census event:

In 1870 the household consisted of:
        1) Abraham Jones, 48, laborer, Ohio
        2) Hattie Jones, 44, keeping house, Indiana
        3) James M. Jones, 19, laborer, Illinois
        4) Charles T. Jones, 16, laborer, Illinois
        5) Susana Jones, 11, Illinois
        6) Lemon H. Jones, 9, Illinois
        7) John H. Jones, 6, Illinois
        8) Ida M. Jones, 3, Illinois

I then copy the entire event and source to each member of the household. It does make for repetition in some reports, but, for me, it's a small price to pay.
        Kathy
        Reunion 13

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy C View Post
          It seems me that this whole issue of census, event or source, and how the source and citation is recorded differs with everyone. It just depends on how you want to display your data and record it.

I started out years ago, recording each bit of census data as an event and each one had its own source and citation. So, I ended up with hundreds of citations, many for the same year, location, etc. that perhaps only differed by family or page. Not what I wanted.

So, I created a new census source for each year..... Each one shows only two fields for export gedcom purposes: TITL, PUBL. So my citation looks like this: 1940 United States Federal Census; Ancestry.com, online image

I put the rest of the citation into the Detail field (T627, Hayward, Alameda Co., California, enumeration district (ED) 1-36, sheet 16A, John Flower household) I use Ancestry a lot for census data and just copy and paste their citation detail and add in the household or person of interest.

The resulting citation: 1940 United States Federal Census, Ancestry.com online image, T627, Hayward, Alameda Co., California, enumeration district (ED) 1-36, sheet 16A, John Flower household.
          I like this and do very similar, with one significant exception. I change the order to State, County, City/Town/Township. Why, because it sorts better keeping all counties together in a state for each year. With the reverse, the sort is all over the place.

30. “1910 US Census,” Indiana, Hendricks County, Eel River Township.
          Last edited by Daryl W. Gordon; 08 May 2015, 05:13 PM. Reason: additional info
          Daryl W. Gordon
          The Gordon Company
          Researching Gordon, McCloud, Oxley, Weaver, Hague

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl W. Gordon View Post
            I like this and do very similar, with one significant exception. I change the order to State, County, City/Town/Township. Why, because it sorts better keeping all counties together in a state for each year. With the reverse, the sort is all over the place.

30. “1910 US Census,” Indiana, Hendricks County, Eel River Township.
            I agree with you, Daryl, about the sorting and that's a good point. If I was still doing my census citations like how you show it, that would be an issue. In fact, when I was doing my sources like you show, I arranged the location just as you do. But now, that location data is in the Detail field for me so it's a non issue.
            Kathy
            Reunion 13

Comment

We all have our own way of doing things, and that's fine: one of the great qualities of Reunion is that it caters equally well for many different approaches. So if I show mine below, it is not to convert anyone else to my way, but just because the comparison might be of interest.

I like to see all the information I have in one display, and therefore, as well as attaching an image of the census page to its source (one for each), I type the census details in (and copy them to each member of the household). They go into a note field which I call 'Dates' because it also includes anything else I can put a date to. I used to copy this text also into a census event field, but now I don't bother, because for me that would just be needless duplication.

Within my 'Dates' field, a census entry is easily spotted by the fact that the year is immediately followed by a colon (saves me writing 'census' each time) and then a source number. I attach a sample.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Michael Talibard; 09 May 2015, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Very interesting. So your Dates field is like a timeline. I like that. Do you know how it exports as a gedcom? Judy

Comment

Originally posted by mrstucci View Post
                  Very interesting. So your Dates field is like a timeline. I like that. Do you know how it exports as a gedcom? Judy
                  No - must try that some time. I understand that notes fields export OK. I'd have to give it a tag.

Comment

Another question-where do you have these fields? In Reunion Preferences, in Fields, are these Fields set up under Person Events? Do they have gedcom tags? Thanks, Michael....

Comment

Some are Events, namely Birth, Baptism, Death, Burial; others are Facts, namely Religion, Education, Occupation. All of these are standard fields, with standard tags (BIRT, BAPM, etc), which you must have available to add to a Family View quite easily, if not already there. I think the one I call 'Notes' is another standard one, Misc. Notes, with the tag NOTE. So the only novelty is my 'Dates', which is a Note field that I added; it has the tag _DAT - which as far as I remember was given automatically by the system when I set it up, but can be changed if I wish. I take it you know how to decide which fields appear in your Family View. If not, the manual is very clear. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Talibard View Post
                        Some are Events, namely Birth, Baptism, Death, Burial; others are Facts, namely Religion, Education, Occupation. All of these are standard fields, with standard tags (BIRT, BAPM, etc), which you must have available to add to a Family View quite easily, if not already there. I think the one I call 'Notes' is another standard one, Misc. Notes, with the tag NOTE. So the only novelty is my 'Dates', which is a Note field that I added; it has the tag _DAT - which as far as I remember was given automatically by the system when I set it up, but can be changed if I wish. I take it you know how to decide which fields appear in your Family View. If not, the manual is very clear. Hope this helps.
                        Thank you, Michael. Yes, that helps and I will read the manual more thoroughly as I go along in this process.

Comment

Originally posted by elmac View Post
                          ...Regarding your Sources for Census what I have done is

1. In the Events Preference Lists I added a Census event for every 10 years for each country so they show in the Events List as
                          Census UK 1881
                          Census UK 1891
                          etc
                          Then when entering the event I just pick the country and year

2. Having entered the Census as an event I then select a Source which I have created as Census template with the defaults as shown in the screen shot attached. Then I just fill in the lines and attach a jpg of the actual file to the media tab. I type the information abut what is shown in Census on the Free form Text. in the Memo on the Event - I usually add something like "Age 48, Head, Labourer" etc etc and then add the Event and the same source to all the members of the household, just changing the details in the Memo section to relate to each person.

Not sure if that is the correct way but it works for me
                          Hello Elaine,

I like your census template but I do not understand how to create it. I see how to select census as an event but creating the template with those fields is a mystery. Also what happens when you have census records from other countries or is the template set up for e.g.. UK 1871 and would have a different template for other countries? I need help. Thanks

Cal

Comment

Working...
                          X