This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Location of original images and imported media folder

I guess I am still stuck in ""Reunion 10 mode in regards to the links to original image folders. I read the manual and understand that thumbnails are stored in Reunion now and that a new Imported Media folder has been added. I have never kept my multimedia images in iPhoto and don't plan to keep them in the new Photo app. I keep them stored by individual family folders within a folder labeled Multimedia Files. I keep that folder, along with my .familyfile and other assorted research files in one big folder titled Reunion Files on Google Drive (Ex: Google Drive>Reunion File>Multimedia Files>FG 1_Berbach, John and Laurel Reed>Laurel Berbach.jpg.) Should I move the Multimedia Files folder over to Dropbox? Is it still necessary? What about the new Imported Media folder? The manual says it can be moved and renamed. Can I (should I?) move that folder to my older Multimedia Files folder? And does that mean all the various pictures in the Imported folder are lumped together? Can I split them up into smaller family folders as I do with my old Multimedia Files folder? Loving ReunionTouch, but still trying to figure it all out!
    http://www.reedandberbachfamilies.com/
    Reed, Berbach, Sprung, Ralbovsky, Delamater, Rankie, Brownell

Re: location of original images and imported media folder

Keep your multimedia folders just as you did with Reunion 10. Reunion links to them just as Reunion 10 does.

It differs from Reunion 10 in that it also creates and stores thumbnails that are used for new features and for sharing with other devices. These thumbnails supplement but do not replace the original images.

You don't need to move the original pictures to the Dropbox folder either. Again, the thumbnails stored in the family file are what is shared.

Leave the Imported Media folder alone, too. This is where pictures that originate from ReunionTouch devices are stored for use by Reunion 11 on the main computer.

Hope this helps.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Tim,
      Thank you for your succinct explanation!
      These thumbnails supplement but do not replace the original images.
      This is what I needed to know!

You don't need to move the original pictures to the Dropbox folder either.
      But can I if I want? My family tells me I worry too much, but I like to keep all my Reunion related folders together to make it easy for my survivors in the event that I'm suddenly not around anymore! :-P

Leave the Imported Media folder alone, too.
      But, if I choose, may I place this folder in my original image folder? Again, to keep everything together and simple.

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

You don't need to move the original pictures to the Dropbox folder either...
        But can I if I want?
        Yes.

Leave the Imported Media folder alone, too...
        But, if I choose, may I place this folder in my original image folder?
        Yes.
        Frank Leister
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by lrberbach View Post
          But can I if I want? My family tells me I worry too much, but I like to keep all my Reunion related folders together to make it easy for my survivors in the event that I'm suddenly not around anymore! :-P
          If Dropbox space is not an issue and you don't mind your stuff in the cloud, shouldn't be a problem.
          Originally posted by lrberbach View Post
          But, if I choose, may I place this folder in my original image folder? Again, to keep everything together and simple.
          This goes beyond my level of knowledge. I don't know if moving the Imported Media folder would break anything.

EDIT: Frank has spoken. Feel free.
          Tim Lundin
          Heartland Family Graphics
          http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Re: moving the imported media folder

...moving the Imported Media folder...
            Reunion 11 will keep track of the new location if the Imported Media folder is moved anywhere on the same volume (using the Finder). Or, one can manually "tell" Reunion 11 where you want these images saved via File > Sharing Status > Imported Media Folder.
            Frank Leister
            Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Re: Location of original images and imported media folder

Thank you, Tim and Frank, for the help! I guess I have some thinking to do before I make any moves. But, at least I now understand the options.

Comment

Working...
              X