This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Islands

It seemed prudent upon upgrading to clean up my family file. So found all the lost images and then moved on to "islands." It seems it must work quite different than I thought because immediately I find an "island" of 1 person, who upon clicking on the name, has a wife attached, a set of in-laws, etc. (pic 1.jpg for Ralph de Monthermer)
    I thought an "island" was an isolated person not connected to anyone?
    In another case the "island" of 1 person is not even shown when I click on their name, just a blank family with a son. (pic 2.jpg Eleanor of Provence)
    Most of the "islands" that are 1 or 2 people are separate, how the got that was is unknown to me. I do have one large "island" I knew about and being able to quickly go to it is a welcome addition, but these erroneous "islands" bother me.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by conditd; 24 April 2015, 10:25 PM.
    David Condit
    www.condit-family.com

Re: Islands

An island in Reunion is a group of people connected to each other but not linked to other groups. So an island can be 1 person or thousands of people.

However, an island of one person should have only one person in it. And an island of 15 people should have 15 people in it. An island of 1 with several people in it is definitely not right. I don't know if rebuilding cache files would help, but I'd try it and see if it makes a difference. The next step would be the help desk.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Rebuilding the cache didn't work so I suppose the help desk is the next stop. May be a problem with my family file, that happened once before and caused problems the help desk quickly fixed.
      David Condit
      www.condit-family.com

Comment

Originally posted by conditd View Post
        Rebuilding the cache didn't work so I suppose the help desk is the next stop. May be a problem with my family file, that happened once before and caused problems the help desk quickly fixed.
        I'm not sure what's going wrong here, we would like to see your family file. Please send a copy of your family file to help@leisterpro.com.
        Gregg Witmer
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          I'm not sure what's going wrong here, we would like to see your family file. Please send a copy of your family file to help@leisterpro.com.
          Have discovered the same here Gregg.

Stein
          Attached Files
          Stein Ole Kjaer
          Hamar-Norway

Comment

The interesting thing here is that none of the three displayed people are the same as the person listed in the lower right -- the member list of an island!
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

I have quite a few of these islands also. One person islands where the person in question belongs to a family, others like the example given by Steinole where the person in question does not show up on the record displayed. I've given the latter the prefix "Ghost" in the island list as I can't move or delete them since they are not visible! However, I think the problem dates back to 2009 (I'm not absolutely sure of the year) when a version of Reunion came out where there was a problem with some id numbers getting mixed up and children attached to the wrong parents. An update came out very quickly - about a week or so later? - and the problem disappeared. I went systematically through all the records I had worked on during that period and thought I had corrected them all, but I have the feeling that the strange islands turning up now have something to do with that.

Susan

Comment

Greg, I went back to my Reunion 9 file, as I had moved from 9 to 10 to 11 the same day, and these people were messed up in that file also. So, I went through and checked each person, deleted and re-added as appropriate and cleaned it all up. I can reconvert the R 10 file to 11 and send it to you but my problem, at least with islands, is fixed. Other problems are showing up though, all minor.
                With the excellent and fast turnaround I experienced before I would recommend others send you their files if they have lots of these errors. I believe it is a family file problem.

Note: I discovered in cleanup than many of my "islands" had parents with no names and the family relationship had to be deleted before I could delete/move the people.
                David Condit
                www.condit-family.com

Comment

I also have a number of islands supposedly of one person but forming part of families. Half a dozen or so are "UNNAMED", and I wonder if that's the issue?

Comment

Is it possible to manually force a group of people to become an island? I have a branch in my family file that I expected to be a separate island, because I don't know their precise cousin relationship to the rest of my family, but because a spouse of one of these people happens to have been the sibling of a spouse of a member of my known family, this essentially unconnected branch is in this way technically connected up with the rest of my family file and appears as part of my main "island." But because the exact nature of their known blood connection to my family remains unproven, I would prefer that they actually remain a separate island. Is there any way to do this other than by removing the accurate sibling relationship reflected in my tree? (Those siblings are themselves part of a large, well-researched family, which I don't really want to remove.) Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Mandelbaum View Post
                      Is it possible to manually force a group of people to become an island?... Is there any way to do this other than by removing the accurate sibling relationship reflected in my tree? (Those siblings are themselves part of a large, well-researched family, which I don't really want to remove.)
                      The only way is to remove the link.
                      Frank Leister
                      Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Mandelbaum View Post
                        Is it possible to manually force a group of people to become an island?
                        Before Reunion 11 was released, some people kept track of groups in their family file by assigning a flag to them. This made it easy to identify them as part of the group and to search on them.
                        Tim Lundin
                        Heartland Family Graphics
                        http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                          The only way is to remove the link.
                          Okay, thanks! In that case, wish list item: the ability to manually define an island.

Comment

Working...
                          X