This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transferring sources

I have just converted all my sources to 'Practical Citations' using Ben's method of citing sources for my family.

I have just imported the gedcom for my husband's family and need to do the same with the sources for his family.

Am I able to copy across sources from my family to his? For e.g., the 1841 Census is the same for both families and it is in the Practical Citation format.

Or do I need to go through each of the new sources and convert them again?
    I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
    Using Reunion 10
    Safari

Re: Transferring sources

Originally posted by The Wheeler Family View Post
    I have just converted all my sources to 'Practical Citations' using Ben's method of citing sources for my family.

I have just imported the gedcom for my husband's family and need to do the same with the sources for his family.

Am I able to copy across sources from my family to his? For e.g., the 1841 Census is the same for both families and it is in the Practical Citation format.

Or do I need to go through each of the new sources and convert them again?
    Hello,

I'm disappointed to see no replies to your post, but maybe you could share your thoughts on "Practical Citation" at this point?

I am preparing to utilize this method, as well, and would love feed-back before I begin!

Comment

I'm sorry as well that no-one has replied to this.

I have been happy with Ben's technique. I haven't seen all the benefits he states especially with exporting the information for my tree to another software programme as I haven't had need to do this but as far as reducing the number of sources for my tree it has been great.

I can now use the same source, e.g. 1841 England Census, for multiple people and only change the details for each person, i.e. the page no, volume, etc. It took me a little while to get my head around some of the ideas but there is a good set of notes that come with payment and there are some videos to watch as well.

Hope this helps...and hope someone replies to my initial request
      I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
      Using Reunion 10
      Safari

Comment

Thank you for replying. I appreciate knowing that it has been beneficial to you - sounds like I need to get busy and dive in!

Comment

...and hope someone replies to my initial request
          Wheeler-
          You could try what’s explained in the users help manual. Please read the sections of manual regarding exporting family files and importing family files before proceeding with steps outlined below.

I am assuming by your post that you already have separate family files (in Reunion format) for your family tree and your husband’s tree and you want to export a copy of all the sources from your tree and import these sources into your husband’s tree.

First, make a backup copy of your husband’s family file since that is the file that is being modified.

Next, open your family file and export ONLY SOURCES from your tree via File>Export>ReunionFamilyFile, checking ‘no people’, ‘all sources’, and ‘no multimedia’. This will create a new empty family file containing only all your sources. You might name this family file “Sources Only”.

Then open your husband’s family file and import the “sources only” familyfile via File>Import>ReunionFamilyFile and select the “sources only” familyfile as the file to be imported.

I would expect the above steps to have now added your sources (without citations of course) to your husband’s family file. Since none of these added sources will be cited in his family file, you will still need to go through you husband’s family file and add citation references to these sources where appropriate.

LASTLY, PLEASE NOTE I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS. I am only reading the manual for you. If this fails you still have your backup to fall back on with nothing lost.
          Byron Spoon

Comment

Thank-you Byron, I will give this a try. Bit rushed for time now so I will find a time where I can stop and think carefully about what I am doing.

Diane
            I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
            Using Reunion 10
            Safari

Comment

One more thing to check. You should verify that your husband’s family file has its source type definitions and source field definitions set up the same as in your family file. Especially if you added new source types and/or source fields to your own file that may not be in his family file set-up. I’m not sure what would happen if types and/or fields are missing in his family file when you try to import your sources.

You can check this by going to Reunion Preferences -> Sources and compare each of the source types and source fields for both your family file and your husband's family file. Change or add source types/fields as necessary to your husband's family file.

If these match up, then your husband’s family file should be able to accept your “sources only” import as described in my previous post without an issue.
              Byron Spoon

Comment

Originally posted by anitab View Post
                Hello,

I'm disappointed to see no replies to your post, but maybe you could share your thoughts on "Practical Citation" at this point?

I am preparing to utilize this method, as well, and would love feed-back before I begin!
                I suggest you search this forum using criteria 'Practical Citations' without quotes. The pro's and cons have been discussed many times.

Sue

Comment

Originally posted by ByronSpoon View Post
                  One more thing to check. You should verify that your husband’s family file has its source type definitions and source field definitions set up the same as in your family file. Especially if you added new source types and/or source fields to your own file that may not be in his family file set-up. I’m not sure what would happen if types and/or fields are missing in his family file when you try to import your sources.

You can check this by going to Reunion Preferences -> Sources and compare each of the source types and source fields for both your family file and your husband's family file. Change or add source types/fields as necessary to your husband's family file.

If these match up, then your husband’s family file should be able to accept your “sources only” import as described in my previous post without an issue.
                  The source types will be different as I have re-done my family tree sources using the 'Practical Citations' method. My husband's tree is as they are when I downloaded the tree from Ancestry.

I may just have to 'bite the bullet' and go through each source as I did with my tree

Thank-you for your advice.
                  I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
                  Using Reunion 10
                  Safari

Comment

I may just have to 'bite the bullet' and go through each source as I did with my tree.
                    I'm sure there's a work around, but I went through each source. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing properly.

I've been using Practical Citations for years and have never looked back, but acknowledge it's not for everyone.

I have exported/imported gedcoms to and from FamilyTreeMaker, Roots Magic, Legacy and MacFamilyTree just to name a few, and have never had any problems with all my sources transferring which is, to me, the most important part.

Sue
                    Last edited by suzivegemite; 08 June 2015, 02:47 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Originally posted by suzivegemite View Post
                      I'm sure there's a work around, but I went through each source. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing properly.

I've been using Practical Citations for years and have never looked back, but acknowledge it's not for everyone.

I have exported/imported gedcoms to and from FamilyTreeMaker, Roots Magic, Legacy and MacFamilyTree just to name a few, and have never had any problems with all my sources transferring which is, to me, the most important part.

Sue
                      I agree with you. I do like this method of doing sources and I don't mind putting the effort in.

I haven't exported gedcoms like you have yet but it is comforting to know our hard work will be preserved when we do.

Diane
                      I have a MAC OSX 10.9.1
                      Using Reunion 10
                      Safari

Comment

method

I've been using Practical Citations for years
                        Sue, I think I'm confused. I thought Ben Sayers just came out with his book "Practical Citation" recently. What is it that you have been using for years - is it another resource?

I suggest you search this forum using criteria 'Practical Citations' without quotes. The pro's and cons have been discussed many times.
                        Sue, I was specifically wanting the opinion of people who have used Ben Sayers method "Practical Citation" (no 's') - I'm not seeing that when I do the search you recommend.
                        Anita

Comment

Re: method

Originally posted by anitab View Post
                          Sue, I think I'm confused. I thought Ben Sayers just came out with his book "Practical Citation" recently. What is it that you have been using for years - is it another resource?Anita
                          Uncertain exactly how long I've been using Ben's Practical Citation, but I remember converting all my sources when I was still living in Queensland, Australia. I've been living in New South Wales, Australia since 2012 so it was before then. If you look on the Practical Citation forum you'll see my username and dates. I believe there has been updated versions since I started.

Originally posted by anita View Post
                          Sue, I was specifically wanting the opinion of people who have used Ben Sayers method "Practical Citation" (no 's') - I'm not seeing that when I do the search you recommend.
                          Anita
                          When searching this forum I entered the key words Practical Citation and got 13 hits. Not all are relevant as it searches on each word, but there are many that should answer your questions.

I personally love Practical Citation for many reasons. I can re-find sources if needed, others can locate my sources and most importantly for me, my sources are transferable via gedcom. I have changed genealogy software over the years and have always had to manually re type most source info which is painful. With Practical Citation it all imports perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Sue

Comment

Re: method

I personally love Practical Citation for many reasons. I can re-find sources if needed, others can locate my sources and most importantly for me, my sources are transferable via gedcom. I have changed genealogy software over the years and have always had to manually re type most source info which is painful. With Practical Citation it all imports perfectly.
                            Sue
                            So glad to hear that you are using it and have found that it works well - sounds like you have really tested it out by changing software.

I wish I had known sooner about Ben's citation method - maybe I wouldn't have a mess to clean up now.

I became aware of his 'file & folder' system of organizing genealogy records on my computer several years ago - I use that and I love it! I was looking for a program to help organize things, and he showed how everything was already there in my operating system!!

Thank you for your replies.

Anita

Comment

Working...
                            X