Ancestry - GEDCOM Fails to Upload - I am Stumped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancestry - GEDCOM Fails to Upload - I am Stumped

For months now I have been unable to upload a GEDCOM to my Ancestry account. It starts the upload that after 2-3 minutes I get " Something went wrong while uploading your file. Please try again"
    Lots on conversations to ancestry via phone, email and chat, but NO answers from Ancestry! Ancestry’s support is a ONE on 1-10 scale, sorry. (:

Here is what I have done to test the issue on my end.

1- I have created a NEW Ancestry account just for testing, using a different email account.
    I tried and got the same error message using the same GEDCOM file, 41.8 mb apron 72k persons.

2- Today, I was able to upload a “Temporary gedcom” that contains only 84 persons and spouses, weighing in at 266k, to the NEW test account as well as my old Ancestry account. Both were successful in less than a minute.

3- Today, then I immediately tried the GEDCOM that I had previously tried and had failed along with others, even the GEDCOM that is currently there, I renamed it, tried to upload it again and ALL failed. It is 41.8 mb, I get the error after 2-3 minutes.

Ancestry site says on the web that a GEDCOM must be under 500 mb. We are well under that.

I am stumped. Has anyone else had an issue as this????????????
    bigfoot4

OS X 10.13

Reunion 12
    Reunion Touch 1.0.8

Maybe it's the differences in Gedcoms put out by both places. Each software accepts certain things, including Ancestry. If it is a Reunion gedcom there are some differences you may want to iron out and change before trying again to see if that's the problem. Attached is a chart of differences between the companies. I haven't tried what you are doing myself, but since no one else has responded you may want to experiment. Some use a gedcom converter, some use RootsMagic freebie demo, others use FamilyTreeMaker and put it through there first and then upload it. I hope this is what you were talking about.

Comment

epona

Thanks, I will do some more experimenting.

I don't deal it's a GEDCOM problem. I have been uploading the GEDCOM since 2002 to ancestry. Using the same settings from Reunion with NO problem ever, then all of a sudden in January 2023 it started giving me the error.

Ancestry site says on the web that a GEDCOM must be under 500 mb, mine less that 50 mb. I even tried uploading the same gedcom that is already there using the same file, and it failed. I created another account, tried again, same issue. I tried a test with a gedcom of 84 persons of 266k size and it loaded.

It makes no sense.

Ancestry just will not respond, even after calling them about the issue. The Support is no support.
      bigfoot4

OS X 10.13

Reunion 12
      Reunion Touch 1.0.8

Comment

SOLUTION: Finally Ancestry emailed me and asked for the GEDCOM file I had attempted to upload. They uploaded it for me, no issues, and emailed me back ( the same day). They told me my issue was upload speed, and that I need to "adjust" my upload speeds to 50 Mbps or higher to keep from failing. My ISP, ViaSat, only guarantees me 12 Mbps. I did some speed checks and was getting close to 17 Mbps the last time I tried to upload.
        I replied to Ancestry with my situation, they told me I need to get faster speeds. I have no other options where I live.

So now Ancestry thinks everyone has blazing fast internet.
        bigfoot4

OS X 10.13

Reunion 12
        Reunion Touch 1.0.8

Comment

Ancestry are full of it - I would venture that very few people have 50Mbps upload speeds - I have 100Mbps download and 10Mbps upload from Charter Cable.

Roger
          Roger Moffat
          http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
          http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Need a faster than 12 or 17 MB? That is total BS that some phone person at Ancestry made up? Have you checked with your provider to find out what the parameters are for uploads in your particular plan? Providers are famous for not sharing information about restrictions they have in place per plan. I'm suggesting that since it is not mentioned in earlier posts. (Working theory: Provider put restrictions on uploads back around March and didn't notify users.)
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
              Ancestry are full of it - I would venture that very few people have 50Mbps upload speeds - I have 100Mbps download and 10Mbps upload from Charter Cable.

Roger
              Second that motion, Roger.... I have a Comcast gigabit connection. It is superfast on downloads....varies from the high 100's during heavy traffic hours to 300 or more during the wee hours of the night. However, the fastest uploads I get are in the mid 30's but usually are in the low to mid 20's. Someone telling Bigfoot that he needs 50 MBps upload is really questionable in my estimation.
              Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
              Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
              iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Working...
              X