RootsWeb Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RootsWeb Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024

I have been doing genealogy in my family for almost 30 years. I use the Rootsweb WorldConnect free pages to host sites for my family tree, and two different family reunions.

I see on the Rootsweb support pages that all of this is fixing to stop this year. They already discontinued the World connect updates of GEDCOM files to the sites.

Note from support page: " WorldConnect family trees (last updated on 9 August 2021) will be retired on 15 April 2023 and migrated to Ancestry as a new free-access collection later in the year. For help removing a tree or its content, contact us"

And now I see the hosted sites will be retired too.

Note from support page: " Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content. Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024."

All of these changes put me in fix! I basically maintain a google account landing page at www.whitesellsomers.com From there I have linked all of my trees and family reunions to other FTP sites at Rootsweb. I don't know how much data my account would let me post there.

I would like suggestions from the members for alternatives for hosting these FTP sites that are simple and easy. I am not an advanced FTP user, but my updates have been simple ones.

For the last 2 years I have also been publishing my "Reunion Web Project" by FTP to Rootsweb also. Today my web project is 1.61 GB ( with No photographs) so it is getting bigger, but I love this format for anyone looking at it!

Many thanks for anyone listing on.... Terry

bigfoot4

OS X 10.13

Reunion 12
    Reunion Touch 1.0.8

Thanks for the heads up. I, too, am using Rootsweb for my web site. though, I have never really figured out what WorldConnect is and if I am in that or not. I will probably just find another host rather then have my tree in a place where I can't update it.

BTW, I noticed your parents were Alamance, Co. NC. I am next-door in Orange Co. in Hillsborough.

Comment

Hi thanks for your post. IF you have suggestions for a inexpensive good host site to FTP my tree, please share. I hate to have to learn a new process to update my online tree. I probably will remove all of my GEDCOM, trees from Ancestry, RootsWeb, and World connect.

I sent you an email also!
      Thanks
      Terry
      bigfoot4

OS X 10.13

Reunion 12
      Reunion Touch 1.0.8

Comment

Originally posted by Blaise A. Darveaux View Post
        Thanks for the heads up. I, too, am using Rootsweb for my web site. though, I have never really figured out what WorldConnect is and if I am in that or not. I will probably just find another host rather then have my tree in a place where I can't update it.

BTW, I noticed your parents were Alamance, Co. NC. I am next-door in Orange Co. in Hillsborough.
        HI neighbor! I don't think I replied to you. Anyway I wound up using IONOS to host my site. I will transfer my domain name there in May, but I have created sub-domains there for my reunions and genealogy. Cost $ 4.00 a month first year, the $6.00 a month up to 10 GB storage etc.
        My updates now are all web cards, but I still like to have a GEDCOM at ancestry cause lots of people find me there.

Good day!
        bigfoot4

OS X 10.13

Reunion 12
        Reunion Touch 1.0.8

Comment

Working...
        X