X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

an exemplar of a genealogical book?

Dear genealogical hive mind:

I'm working on a genealogy of my family that I will self-publish. I've laid it out in register format, and am using InDesign.

I'm wondering if people might give examples of a modern genealogical book or two that might exemplify work to emulate. I've seen this earlier thread:

This has a great reference to the NEHGS description of how to write up an entry in register format. I'm partly interested in citation and all of that, which I'm fussy about and needs to be there, but I'm also very interested in design
    Derrick
    pitard.net

Re: an exemplar of a genealogical book?

I suggest this if you can find a copy in a local library. Published in 2013. I just reviewed it for NGSQ. Not sure when book review will appear.

Robert V. Montague III, comp., Jana Sloan Broglin, CG, OGSF, editor. History and Genealogy of Peter Montague of Jamestowne, Virginia, 1603
    Donald W. Moore
    Virginia Beach, Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by Derrick View Post
      Dear genealogical hive mind:

I'm working on a genealogy of my family that I will self-publish. I've laid it out in register format, and am using InDesign.

I'm wondering if people might give examples of a modern genealogical book or two that might exemplify work to emulate. I've seen this earlier thread:

This has a great reference to the NEHGS description of how to write up an entry in register format. I'm partly interested in citation and all of that, which I'm fussy about and needs to be there, but I'm also very interested in design—layout, fonts, and so on. My readers won't be professionals, necessarily, but family members, and I want it to work for them.

Gilbert Cope's really great volumes on Quaker families (the Smedleys, for example) are inspiring, but these are much older examples.

Thanks!
      Bonjour Derrick,

With a cousin, we have published, in French, a genealogy of one side of my family using Indesign, and we are Sons of the American Revolution thanks to our ancester which starts our gen ealogy.
      If you wish to receive 2 or 3 pages as examples, please send me your mail address.

Jean-Michel Saint Girons
      jmsaintgirons@free.fr

If
      Last edited by Deb; 09 October 2014, 03:57 PM.
      Jean-Michel SAINT GIRONS, Paris, France

Comment

My most recent book is already documented in that thread you mentioned. If you have any questions about it, or want to see the full PDF, let me know at worth@ucla.edu.

Comment

Thank you for these responses! This is great.
          Derrick
          pitard.net

Comment

Derrick, not sure if you saw my reply regarding page layout on this other thread, so here's the link to it:

Susan

Comment

I did! I'm getting a bit wonky on thinking about all of the things that go into a book. To reinforce your point, here's the first of a set of articles I've found helpful; this one discusses how wide the text block should be:

Book design is a lost art. Though book design discussions usually focus on covers, consider how much more time a reader spends staring at the text. An elegant book block is just as important. Decad…

The section about line width mentions that "Text set in wide line widths becomes difficult to read because it
              Derrick
              pitard.net

Comment

Working...
              X