5G Uncle or 4th great-granduncle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5G Uncle or 4th great-granduncle

Is anyone else having a problem with this difference? The first reference would be Reunion's (and I think the accepted version), the 2nd reference is Ancestry's. I don't know how long they've been using this but I just stumbled on it today. I find it really confusing since at that point in a family tree the same first names are used in each generation. The number really helps determine if you've got the right "Daniel" (for example). I chatted with someone at Ancestry hoping that it was just a setting that could be changed but apparently not. After some thought I think Ancestry might be correct since it would match with grandparents. My 5th great-grandfather's brother would be my 5th great-granduncle rather than my 4G Uncle. BUT, that's not the way I've always done it. Any opinions? Or am I just too easily confused??
    Sara Bradley Mason
    kywiaz at gmail dot com

Originally posted by Sara View Post
    My 5th great-grandfather's brother would be my 5th great-granduncle rather than my 4G Uncle.
    This is correct. Your 5th great-grandfather can also be expressed as your GGGGG grandfather, your 5G grandfather, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great grandfather, or, probably other ways. The brother of your 5G grandfather is your 5G granduncle.

The number refers to the number of "greats" preceding the "grand-whatever".

Comment

Reunion will allow you to display Aunts and Uncles either way.

From the Relatives sidebar, click the Change button and check or uncheck the "Use granduncle and grandaunt" checkbox.
      Gregg Witmer
      Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Working...
      X