This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Online Historical Maps

A new website has online, overlay maps. USGS maps are now available. You can find the overlay maps at

http://historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/.

The maps can also be downloaded for free.
    Last edited by kmgenealogy; 09 July 2014, 06:00 PM.
    Kaye Mushalik
    -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
    -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
    -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Re: New Online Historical Maps

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
    A new website has online, overlay maps. USGS maps are now available. You can find the overlay maps at

http://historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/.

The maps can also be downloaded for free.
    WOW!!! Kaye this is wonderful!
    Thanks for sharing it.
    Frank
    Frank Zwolinski
    Researching: Zwolinski, Zubris, Ward, Wichlacz, Six, Sidney/Sypniewskie, Rickner, Mulligan, McElroy, Maciejewski, Loisy, Lindsay, Konjey, Konieczki, Janick, Ellis, Cornish, Chlebowski, Sass, Soch.
    MacBook Pro, OS X 10.8.5, Reunion 11, FireFox 38.0.5, Safari 6.2.2

Comment

So far I have not been able to get any maps from this site. Clicking on all the places I have tried results in an endlessly spinning circle of dots. I assume the site is overloaded.
      ............Mike

Comment

Apple killed an older version of Flash a few days back. Assuming you are on Mountain Lion or newer, check your Software Update in the Apple menu to see if you have a related update to run.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Bob,

YOU are the BEST! I had already upgraded, and so was able to get to the site, but if I hadn't I would have had no idea what was not working. Thank you for bringing your expertise to the ReunionTalk! Mike, please report after you have a chance to check it out, and thanks again to Kaye.

Frank
          Frank Zwolinski
          Researching: Zwolinski, Zubris, Ward, Wichlacz, Six, Sidney/Sypniewskie, Rickner, Mulligan, McElroy, Maciejewski, Loisy, Lindsay, Konjey, Konieczki, Janick, Ellis, Cornish, Chlebowski, Sass, Soch.

Comment

I had already upgraded Flash to v14.0.0.145, so that's not the problem. I'm using OS 10.9.4.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. When I get to the site, I enter, for example, 'Boston, MA' and click on the entry window. I'm presented with a map pf the greater Boston area and then click on the center of Boston. A red target cross appears where I clicked, and a pattern or rotating dots start up and continue forever. Nothing else happens.
            ............Mike

Comment

Mike,
              Once you get to the larger map of Boston, look below at the timeline. Each of the listed places when clicked on will show a historical map for that place and time.
              Hope this helps,
              Frank
              Frank Zwolinski

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Zwolinski View Post
                Mike,
                Once you get to the larger map of Boston, look below at the timeline. Each of the listed places when clicked on will show a historical map for that place and time.
                Hope this helps,
                Frank
                Frank, there is no timeline to be seen on the screen. I suspect that's because the info to present it never gets loaded, due to the 'spinning dots', which indicate a process in progress that never completes. I'll try a restart of the Mac and see if that clears something up. (I should have tried that already, I guess)
                ............Mike

Comment

I just tried to use the map site after restarting my computer, but nothing has changed...still no historic maps or timeline. Sounds as if this will be an interesting troubleshooting task. When I find a solution I''l post my findings here.
                  ............Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Stupinski View Post
                    I just tried to use the map site after restarting my computer, but nothing has changed...still no historic maps or timeline. Sounds as if this will be an interesting troubleshooting task. When I find a solution I''l post my findings here.
                    OK, I tried visiting the USGS map site with my MacBook Pro, which is also running OS 10.9.4. It worked! I was able to overlay several different vintage maps on the base map! Then I noticed it was running Flash player v14.0.0.125, so I upgraded it to v14.0.0.145 and it now works just like my iMac: no timeline or vintage maps! Now I have to figure how to reinstall Flash 14.0.0.125 on the iMac, just to see if it will work with that version.
                    ............Mike

Comment

OK, I tried visiting the USGS map site with my MacBook Pro, which is also running OS 10.9.4. It worked! I was able to overlay several different vintage maps on the base map! Then I noticed it was running Flash player v14.0.0.125, so I upgraded it to v14.0.0.145 and it now works just like my iMac: no timeline or vintage maps! Now I have to figure how to reinstall Flash 14.0.0.125 on the iMac, just to see if it will work with that version.
                      Hmmm, I just checked and I have Flash Player v14.0.0.145 on my iMac (Early 2009) and OS 10.9.4. It works just fine for me.

Maybe you have a corrupted Flash Player. Have you tried uninstalling it (? can that be done ?) and re-installing directly from Adobe?
                      Last edited by kmgenealogy; 19 July 2014, 07:21 PM.
                      Kaye Mushalik
                      -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)

Comment

Hmmm, I just checked and I have Flash Player v14.0.0.145 on my iMac (Early 2009) and OS 10.9.4. It works just fine for me.

Maybe you have a corrupted Flash Player. Have you tried uninstalling it (? can that be done ?) and re-installing directly from Adobe?
                        Thanks for the tip. I ran the 'Flash Player Install Manager,' which let me uninstall Flash Player. Then I went to the Adobe site and directly D/L'd Flash Player 14.0.0.145. Unfortunately, there was no improvement. I think I have a conflict with something installed on both of my computers, but I'm concerned that it will difficult tracking down the culprit. It's still baffling why it worked on the MacBook Pro until I upgraded Flash to the current version.
                        ............Mike

Comment

...Unfortunately, there was no improvement. I think I have a conflict with something installed on both of my computers, but I'm concerned that it will difficult tracking down the culprit. It's still baffling why it worked on the MacBook Pro until I upgraded Flash to the current version.
                          Sorry it didn't work for you. Guess you might have to wait for the next Flash Player update to see if that works. Since they happen quite often, you shouldn't have to wait for long. Keep us updated.
                          Kaye Mushalik

Comment

Sorry it didn't work for you. Guess you might have to wait for the next Flash Player update to see if that works. Since they happen quite often, you shouldn't have to wait for long. Keep us updated.
                            Hmm, just thinking. What browser are you using?
                            Kaye Mushalik

Comment

Hmm, just thinking. What browser are you using?
                              I'm using Safari, Version 7.0.5
                              ............Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X