X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smoke smell on photos

Originally posted by Nancy G Chesnutt View Post
    I think from I have read that you are fortunate that they did not catch fire and burn the house down. From what I have read of old movie film this is very possible.
    Well, I have a lot of old animation cels on nitrate too. The movie films were in sealed metal canisters so they were probably pretty safe. I keep the cels with sheets of paper between them (or in a frame).

Comment

Back to my original post of how to remove cigarette smoke smell from photos and color copies of photos. I thank you all for your suggestions but I still have not found a way to do this safely with out harming the photos.

Any more suggestions please?

Frank
      Frank Zwolinski
      Researching: Zwolinski, Zubris, Ward, Wichlacz, Six, Sidney/Sypniewskie, Rickner, Mulligan, McElroy, Maciejewski, Loisy, Lindsay, Konjey, Konieczki, Janick, Ellis, Cornish, Chlebowski, Sass, Soch.
      MacBook Pro, OS X 10.8.5, Reunion 11, FireFox 38.0.5, Safari 6.2.2

Comment

Old photos

I would still say that the best thing to do is take them to a photo lab (if you can find one) and have them scanned. You can then print from the scans. Depending on the quality of the scan you can print several different sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Zwolinski View Post
          Back to my original post of how to remove cigarette smoke smell from photos and color copies of photos. I thank you all for your suggestions but I still have not found a way to do this safely with out harming the photos.

Frank
          Yes. Try using isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab to swipe dust, dirt and smoke off your photo materials. Since this old technique does not use water, it will not attack the emulsion and will dry in a few seconds leaving the surface clean. BTW, any alcohol will work -- Isopropyl, denatured and drinkable (clear gin, vodka & 151 rum.) In general, the cheaper the better!

Be sure to test a small corner of the test print (or film) first. Then work slowly and methodically over the surface of the print in a well ventilated area
          Arnold
          -----
          RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Hello again
            I could add that, perhaps Frank is referring to photos stuck to cardboard mounts. If so
            I would think it is these cardboard mounts that absorbed the smoke.

I have many and do not have a problem with smoke. Still that would be a no no for me too.
            Old post cards were often prints of the person with the reverse printed with places for stamps, address and messages. Many in my collection are the only existing images of the person/s.
            Many too are over 100 years old and in good condition.

These are indeed most valuable and it is why we keep our photos in the original form.
            I have wedding prints in most elaborate folders and no way would I remove them from the heavy and durable mounts.
            Storage though is another matter.

Scanned Copies are the only way we use could them in Reunion and are then added to our DVDs for duplication and safekeeping of course.
            Referring to the old acetate movies, the main reason for fires was the arc lamps in the equipment required at the time for projection in theatres etc. amazing that any survived that.

Frank, Perhaps you could tell us what progress or best remedy you have come up with.
            Noel Fields Australia
            email > nefields@me.com <
            Researching Fields, Majewski, Watson, Hurwood, Parker.

Comment

Originally posted by feelsrgreen View Post
              Hello again
              Referring to the old acetate movies, the main reason for fires was the arc lamps in the equipment required at the time for projection in theatres etc. amazing that any survived that.
              I don't think acetate and nitrated cellulose are the same thing but I think you're right about the theater fires. Nitrate film gradually decomposes, releasing nitric acid which further catalyzes the decomposition (eventually into a flammable powder) unless it is stored at low temperatures. I can tell you, deteriorating nitrate film smells just ghastly.

I toured the UCLA Film Archive near here and the film storage lockers are compartmentalized for fire safety and very, very cold!

Comment

You might contact the National Archives for advice.
                Robert Godfrey

http://www.QuoddyLoop.com
                A 3-Nation Vacation in Maine, Sipayik, & New Brunswick

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Zwolinski View Post

Frank
                  I'm coming to this discussion late, but I do have a couple things to add. First, most archival materials places sell a granular product designed specifically for deodorizing books, papers, and photographs. You pack the book (or photos, in your case) into the granules and seal it up for a couple weeks. I have no experience using it for smoke smells, but it works great for musty basement smells. I've purchased it from University Products in the past, but Gaylord.com has it, too.

Second, I highly recommend the book "Conservation of Photographs" by Eastman Kodak (written together with archivists from the George Eastman House). It is out of print, but widely available on used book sites. Although aimed at professional archivists, it's hugely informative for the home archivist as well.
                  Brad Mohr
                  https://bradandkathy.com/genealogy/

Comment

Originally posted by bmohr View Post

Second, I highly recommend the book "Conservation of Photographs" by Eastman Kodak (written together with archivists from the George Eastman House). It is out of print, but widely available on used book sites. Although aimed at professional archivists, it's hugely informative for the home archivist as well.
                    To follow up on Brad's comment about the book. I did a search in Word Cat and found 757 libraries that had the book. If one is not near you, consider interlibrary loan.
                    Bob Goode
                    Reunion 12.0; ReunionTouch 1.0.8; OS 10.14.2

Comment

Working...
                    X