X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sociology for Genealogists

I'm looking for a source to help answer questions such as:

Would a widow with three children from the early 19th century likely revert to using her maiden name? This is to help decide if a female is likely a daughter or more likely a daughter in law. I assume the latter, that at that time women kept their husband's name except under extraordinary circumstances.

I've heard that women even up into the early 20th century bore children beyond the normal time for today due to the absence of birth control and other factors. In the 1830 Census, would a 5 year old boy more likely be a son or grandson of a couple in their early 60s? Is it possible to make an educated assumption? I assume grandson.

Thanks,
    David
    Gilbert - Fulcher - Hackney - Harvey - Holmes - Hall
    in Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, and beyond.

Re: Sociology for Genealogists

Originally posted by gilbertdh View Post
    Would a widow with three children from the early 19th century likely revert to using her maiden name? This is to help decide if a female is likely a daughter or more likely a daughter in law. I assume the latter, that at that time women kept their husband's name except under extraordinary circumstances.
    One factor to consider is the relative wealth and prominence of the widow's family, vs. her husbands. A woman from a prominent family would be more likely to revert to her maiden name.

I've heard that women even up into the early 20th century bore children beyond the normal time for today due to the absence of birth control and other factors.
    This may be true, but that would be an effect on the average age at which women bore children, not on the maximum age at which women can bear a child, which will have increased with the availability of modern fertility treatment.

In the 1830 Census, would a 5 year old boy more likely be a son or grandson of a couple in their early 60s? Is it possible to make an educated assumption? I assume grandson.
    Almost certainly not a son, though there have been very rare reports of 'elderly' births (see "Pregnancy over age 50".
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Re: Sociology for Genealogists

...In the 1830 Census, would a 5 year old boy more likely be a son or grandson of a couple in their early 60s? Is it possible to make an educated assumption? I assume grandson.
      Another possibility is that the child might be a nephew of the couple.
      Byron Spoon

Comment

Working...
      X