X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Find common ancestor

Good afternoon,

This is a subject I brought up a few months ago and I haven't been able to resolve the issue in a clean fashion:

Most (i.e. above 90%) of my ancestors were French Canadian as is the case with a lot of Quebecers. We're usually 6th-8th cousin with pretty much everyone in this situation. Therefore, I have been struggling to find an easy way to produce relationship charts for multiple individuals at the same time. Reunion only provides a "find relationship" feature that works for two individuals and I know I can eventually reach a somewhat satisfactory result by combining multiple searches and markers but that can get pretty tedious and time consuming.

Does anyone know of a tool/app that will do this? I know the old version of Heredis for Mac (X.3) did this and it was very handy but their new version does not do it anymore. I'm actually beginning to consider writing my own tool that would work from a GEDCOM file but, to be honest, free time is not really something I'm blessed with these days.
    Benoit Bousquet
    Reunion 14

Re: Find common ancestor

In Reunion, you can go to the first individual and choose

Direct Lines Bold to make all their direct ancestors bold.

Then go to the next one and do Direct Lines Bold

And the next one if there's more than 2.

Then go back up the tree until you find the highest common ancestor.

Then produce a descendant chart from that person, with the option for only Direct Lines checked off.

This is probably easier than writing your own software :-)

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Re: Find common ancestor

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
      In Reunion, you can go to the first individual and choose

Direct Lines Bold to make all their direct ancestors bold.

Then go to the next one and do Direct Lines Bold

And the next one if there's more than 2.

Then go back up the tree until you find the highest common ancestor.

Then produce a descendant chart from that person, with the option for only Direct Lines checked off.

This is probably easier than writing your own software :-)

Roger
      Good morning Roger,

This is indeed the "alternate" way of doing it with Reunion. However, this process becomes quite involved when most of your 80k+ database descends from a small number of settlers, as is the case for New France and Acadie. That's why I'm looking for a solution that does the actual grunt work for me
      Benoit Bousquet
      Reunion 14

Comment

Working...
      X