This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reunion 10 Gedcom to Ancestry.com

I've exported a gedcom to my desktop and had it successfully imported to ancestry.com - all except my multimedia and most importantly my notes on each person sheet. Can I get the notes to an exported gedcom that's going to be imported to ancestry.com?

Re: Reunion 10 Gedcom to Ancestry.com

Originally posted by waltgale View Post
    Can I get the notes to an exported gedcom that's going to be imported to ancestry.com?
    Most likely the notes have been exported, unless you unchecked them in the Optional Fields tab when exporting the GEDCOM.

The problem is, more likely, that Ancestry.com did not import the data. I would recommend contacting their technical support about the issue.
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      Most likely the notes have been exported, unless you unchecked them in the Optional Fields tab when exporting the GEDCOM.

The problem is, more likely, that Ancestry.com did not import the data. I would recommend contacting their technical support about the issue.
      Mark,

Thanks for replying. I didn't uncheck the notes, but when I checked the created gedcom exported fro Reunion 10 using Word, I did not find the notes in the gedcom. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

What is the name of the note field that you entered the notes into? Specifically, is it a note field you created or one of the defaults that comes with Reunion (Medical/Military/Misc. Notes/Research)?

Would you be willing to e-mail us the GEDCOM along with some details on entries that should have notes?

Thanks,
        Mark Harrison

Comment

Ancestry.com doesn't support Notes. They have a concept called "Stories" but Notes don't map into those, unfortunately.

Did your sources get there? That didn't used to work either on Reunion 9 (but maybe it does now - I would like to know!)

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            What is the name of the note field that you entered the notes into? Specifically, is it a note field you created or one of the defaults that comes with Reunion (Medical/Military/Misc. Notes/Research)?

Would you be willing to e-mail us the GEDCOM along with some details on entries that should have notes?

Thanks,
            Mark,

It's the default note that comes right after Educ . I would be happy to mail the gedcom file to the e-mail address if you would specify it.

Walt

Comment

Originally posted by donworth View Post
              Ancestry.com doesn't support Notes. They have a concept called "Stories" but Notes don't map into those, unfortunately.

Did your sources get there? That didn't used to work either on Reunion 9 (but maybe it does now - I would like to know!)
              Unfortunately, with Reunion 10, the sources upload to ancestry only by name, but the files (pdf, pictures, census records) don't come along for the ride; so it's still a problem.

Comment

A while back I created a new tree on Ancestry.com as an experiment and hand-entered a record or two, added a story and a photo, and then exported and downloaded it as a GED file. I took a look at the GED and there was nothing in there for the story or the photo. So I suspect, unless they've changed something in the meantime (which I doubt) that you can't IMPORT multi-media (photos) either.

They have their own notion of field names for sources, and they don't match any of Reunion's (except TITL) so most of your source information goes into the bit bucket. At the time, I wrote a little script to concatenate the values in the source fields all into the TITL so they would show up in Ancestry in some form or other. So my sources on Ancestry look like this:

Highland Pioneer Sketches and Family Genealogies; Ayres, Elsie Johnson; 1971; Book

That may be the best you can hope to do....

I submitted a query to their customer support and got a canned response that they could not be responsible for how other programs (ie. Reunion) did things and that I should contact Reunion's vendor. (Finger pointing)

I strongly suspect that Ancestry won't want to store your images of censuses (since they would rather store links to THEIR images of them) and that they don't want you to use someone else's software to store your data, so they're not going to go out of their way to accommodate that.

Don
                Last edited by donworth; 26 August 2013, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by waltgale View Post
                  I would be happy to mail the gedcom file to the e-mail address if you would specify it.
                  Please send it to:

help@leisterpro.com

Also, it may be helpful if you include your Family File, as well.

Thanks!
                  Mark Harrison

Comment

Originally posted by donworth View Post
                    A while back I created a new tree on Ancestry.com as an experiment and hand-entered a record or two, added a story and a photo, and then exported and downloaded it as a GED file. I took a look at the GED and there was nothing in there for the story or the photo. So I suspect, unless they've changed something in the meantime (which I doubt) that you can't IMPORT multi-media (photos) either.

They have their own notion of field names for sources, and they don't match any of Reunion's (except TITL) so most of your source information goes into the bit bucket. At the time, I wrote a little script to concatenate the values in the source fields all into the TITL so they would show up in Ancestry in some form or other. So my sources on Ancestry look like this:

Highland Pioneer Sketches and Family Genealogies; Ayres, Elsie Johnson; 1971; Book

That may be the best you can hope to do....

I submitted a query to their customer support and got a canned response that they could not be responsible for how other programs (ie. Reunion) did things and that I should contact Reunion's vendor. (Finger pointing)

I strongly suspect that Ancestry won't want to store your images of censuses (since they would rather store links to THEIR images of them) and that they don't want you to use someone else's software to store your data, so they're not going to go out of their way to accommodate that.

Don
                    Don,

I sent my gedcom & family file to Mark at the help desk at leisterpro to see if he can tell what's going on. It may be a question of an incompatibility that no one wants to work on or acknowledge. We'll see.

Walt
                    Last edited by Deb; 27 August 2013, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X