Surname Variations--consolidate yet keep separate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surname Variations--consolidate yet keep separate

Huber/Hoover, Graff/Groff/Grove, Nüssli/Nissley/Nicely--these are just a few of the original German surnames that changed over time. We all have examples in our own families, I am sure. Is there a way to consolidate these names as one to show that they really are the same yet keep them separate to reflect how the various generations spelled their names? I really like the ability to create a Last Names Report and see the Usage of each surname. But, is there an easier way of seeing how many times Weber and Weaver are used without merely finding those names and adding the amounts together?
    Valerie Metzler Archivist/Historian

Absolutely: use Soundex. If you open an edit person window, the Soundex will be under the User ID box. It consists of a letter (the initial letter of the name) and three numbers. If you put this Soundex code into the search box you'll get all the variants of that name which are in your family file. So Weaver gives W160 and putting this in the search box brings up Weaver, Weber and Webber (and maybe others). Invaluable!
    Nick Michael
    LAIDMAN One-Name-Study
    GOONS Member 3814
    http://laidman.one-name.net

Comment

Smacking my forehead, of course! Thank you for the reminder .
      VMAH

Comment

Hmm. Soundex does work for a Huber/Hoover, Weber/Weaver, Graff/Groff/Grove example. But, what about Tschantz/Johns?

Comment

Originally posted by V Metzler View Post
          But, what about Tschantz/Johns?
          If the extra data entry isn’t off-putting, maybe a Tschantz/Johns flag?
          Tim Lundin
          Heartland Family Graphics
          http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Working...
          X