X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ancestry.com won't load

Originally posted by RPalmer View Post
    On the other hand I have upgraded operating systems within a few weeks of when announced and generally using the "current" operating system. I have found the upgrades relatively painless and I get the advantages of the new operating system. Also, when you upgrade operating systems Apple gives their usual excellent technical support. If one were to wait for the next operating system after Mountain Lion, which is reportedly soon, it would be a bigger problem.
    Yes, upgrades are painless if you do them when ordered to do so by the monopolists. I paid the price for being a Luddite by waiting for 6 years.

Comment

We wouldn't have to ever upgrade the OS if it wasn't for that pesky Internet! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff89 View Post
        I have a Mac mini and a Viewsonic 24" monitor. I have an artist friend who swoons over the "reflective screens" but I wasn't keen on paying Apple any more than I had to for their already over-priced product.
        Thanks for jogging my memory about the Mac Mini. I seem to forget about it as a possibility and I can choose the monitor - perfect solution!
        Irene
        iMac G5 PPC OS 10.4.11
        Reunion 9.07

Comment

@Jeff89 beat me to the punch. I share your aversion to reflective screens, and I decided to go the Mac mini route in December -- leaving behind a perfectly fit 2006 iMac Core Duo that couldn't handle any OS above Snow Leopard.

I chose a Dell U2412M display to use with the mini and am very pleased. I'd never buy a Dell PC, but their monitors are well thought-of and not pricey -- this was under $300. User reviews are plentiful and reliable (taken in total). I spent time on amazon.com and B&H Photo looking at hundreds of reviews for several models that weren't reflective, were affordable, and were in the 24" size range.

The Mac mini has lived up to all expectations. I chose the big CPU due to my photo editing activity. The freedom to pick your own keyboard and display(s) is great. When it comes time to upgrade again, only the mini box is likely to need replacement thus keeping the cost of upgrades somewhat under control.

Terry

Comment

Terry, thanks for all the information. Your comment about only having to replace the Mac Mini, while keeping the monitor, has made this set up even more attractive.
            Irene
            iMac G5 PPC OS 10.4.11
            Reunion 9.07

Comment

Working...
            X