This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Archival product company recommendations

Recently I found out that the archival product company that I was considering isn't to be trusted. I would like to buy album sleeves for both photos and postcards and albums.

Can anyone recommend an trusted archival product company?
    Mac OS X 10.12.3, Reunion 11.0.11
    http://www.thefamilyofmichaelmccormack.wordpress.com

Re: Archival product company recommendations

Originally posted by Cormac View Post
    Recently I found out that the archival product company that I was considering isn't to be trusted. I would like to buy album sleeves for both photos and postcards and albums.

Can anyone recommend an trusted archival product company?
    Please share the name of the company with us and why they aren't to be trusted. We can then do recommendations for others.
    Kaye Mushalik
    -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
    -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
    -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
      Please share the name of the company with us and why they aren't to be trusted. We can then do recommendations for others.
      I'd rather

Comment

Kaye,

Why is it so important to you the name of the company that I didn't mention?

Comment

Originally posted by Cormac View Post
          Kaye,

Why is it so important to you the name of the company that I didn't mention?
          1) To see if it is one that I have seen and/or used.

2) To be warned about possible problems with that company. Would like to know why you don't trust them.
          Kaye Mushalik
          -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
          -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
          -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

1) To see if it is one that I have seen and/or used.

2) To be warned about possible problems with that company. Would like to know why you don't trust them.
            Ms. Mushalik,

Answer my question first.

Comment

If I may interject...... how about no more back and forth!

If there is a bad product, please share or be advised that the next time that I would recommend that you just ask for a recommendation without mentioning that you don't trust. You invited the question..... IMHO -- If you don't want to trust a company, I see that as your own personal issue which doesn't really belong here.
              Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
              Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
              iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by bob white View Post
                if i may interject...... How about no more back and forth!

If there is a bad product, please share or be advised that the next time that i would recommend that you just ask for a recommendation without mentioning that you don't trust. You invited the question..... Imho -- if you don't want to trust a company, i see that as your own personal issue which doesn't really belong here.
                I agree.
                John McGee Leggett, Jr.
                Late 2014 MacMini, MacOS Mojave 10.14.3, Reunion 12, Safari 12.0.3
                Leggett Booth McGee King Coulter Morton Ashley Douglas Ranard Maners

Comment

I wrote an article in 2011 on preserving photographs, slides and negatives and give some recommendations which I think still largely stand:

Genealogy is not just the collection of names, dates and locations, but an attempt to preserve memory. One of the best ways to preserve memory is through the use of photographs. It's one thing to say your great-grandfather lived in such-and-such a place, and was born on such-and-such a date, but if

The companies I mention include PrintFile, Archival Methods, and Light Impressions. All are good companies in my experience. I primarily use products from PrintFile and Archival Methods for my own preservation efforts. I use the Slide and negative sheets from PrintFile, the photo sheets and inserts from Archival Methods, and I really like the binder boxes from Archival Methods.

Comment

Originally posted by philipt18 View Post
                    I wrote an article in 2011 on preserving photographs, slides and negatives and give some recommendations which I think still largely stand:

Genealogy is not just the collection of names, dates and locations, but an attempt to preserve memory. One of the best ways to preserve memory is through the use of photographs. It's one thing to say your great-grandfather lived in such-and-such a place, and was born on such-and-such a date, but if

The companies I mention include PrintFile, Archival Methods, and Light Impressions. All are good companies in my experience. I primarily use products from PrintFile and Archival Methods for my own preservation efforts. I use the Slide and negative sheets from PrintFile, the photo sheets and inserts from Archival Methods, and I really like the binder boxes from Archival Methods.
                    Thanks. Thats the type of info we need without bickering.
                    Delbert Curlin
                    Reunion 10.0.6 OS X 10.9.2 iphone 3GS
                    Searching Curlin, White, McClish,Buckner

Comment

I have been using Light Impressions for years with no problems, however I just recently placed an order which is only shipping today, 9 days after placing the order, and of course, it is being shipped across the country--GROUND! There is no tracking available on the website so I called and found that the company has been sold to some type of holding company, FBM Brands. It was purchased out of foreclosure so we will have to see how the service is in the future. The woman who answered the phone (after a very long wait) explained that they are overwhelmed by the large number of back orders, discouraged vendors, and people who have not received past orders. OK, so for all that I will give them the benefit of the doubt, but I will keep you all informed.

If anyone else has had a similar experience with Light Impressions, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Frank
                      Frank Zwolinski
                      Researching: Zwolinski, Zubris, Ward, Wichlacz, Six, Sidney/Sypniewskie, Rickner, Mulligan, McElroy, Maciejewski, Loisy, Lindsay, Konjey, Konieczki, Janick, Ellis, Cornish, Chlebowski, Sass, Soch.
                      MacBook Pro, OS X 10.8.5, Reunion 11, FireFox 38.0.5, Safari 6.2.2

Comment

Hi All, My first post here. I'm still using Reunion 9. I ordered things from the company you mentioned in April this year. I called 2 weeks ago and was told some of the back orders are being shipped. But not mine. They want to ship a person's entire order at one time to save shipping costs. I had no problems with Century Products many years ago. I'll be waiting..... Pete
                        Searching: Freeland--Gargano--Martin--Marotta(o)

Comment

Thanks Delbert and PhilipT18
                          This is just what I have been needing.
                          The link is still active and after reading a long excellent article I have to agree with the details.
                          Note though the article is dated 2011 and some info on archival firms are outdated.
                          I have contacted the author and asked for any updates etc.
                          Will report when I get them.

Just a point, as an Australian note that we have our own supplier/s but not sure of latest details.
                          My experience with Historical Societies is that archival materials are expensive for home use (?) so depends on your needs and expectations.
                          A further point is that we are all decimal her so our papers, photos are in standard A4, A2, A5 etc and the printers sold here are designed for this method. Binders as well.
                          Letter paper is not available nor is legal etc. so that many certificates are odd sizes.
                          I manage to photograph them and so on for filing in Reunion multimedia.
                          Regards
                          Noel
                          Noel Fields Australia
                          email > nefields@me.com <
                          Researching Fields, Majewski, Watson, Hurwood, Parker.

Comment

Working...
                          X