Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: request for advice on visiting cemetery near London.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: request for advice on visiting cemetery near London.

I will be making a business trip and have a layover in London from the U.S. I have reason to believe i have ancestors buried at the Hanwell Cemetery (used to be Westminster Cemetery). I was planning to stay near the Nottinghill area.

On logistics, it appeared there was a bus route that routinely ran from Nottinghill to the cemetery and back. I was wondering if someone was familiar with this area that could confirm this, and potentially provide any other insights to navigating around before I finalized my itinerary.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew if the cemetery would have records of internment a, specifically the location of where people were buried. My ancestors would have been buried around 1868.

I realize there is some info online, I was hoping someone may have some firsthand knowledge of all this.

Thanks!
    --
    Mark

Re: OT: request for advice on visiting cemetery near London.

Originally posted by macunni View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knew if the cemetery would have records of internment a, specifically the location of where people were buried. My ancestors would have been buried around 1868.
    British cemeteries usually do have this information on hand in the sexton's office, but I'd suggest getting the information ahead of time, as the offices often aren't staffed at the time you are able to visit. (And in this case you want to be doubly sure you're going to the right place, as there are two cemeteries, separately administered, that call themselves Hanwell Cemetery.)

You could write or phone them at the address listed on their website:

Hanwell Cemetery, 38 Uxbridge Road, Ealing, London, W7 3PP
    T: 0208 567 0913 F: 020 8579 1750

Then you can arrive pre-armed with the grave locations (maybe they will mark it on a map and fax it or mail it to you) rather than waste your traveling time doing the footwork.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Or, if Dennis's suggestion doesn't bring any joy, join one of the mailing lists that covers the area for a week and ask them. Go to http://boards.rootsweb.com/localitie...nd.lnd/mb.ashx for the lists.

I joined the "London" one from here and had fantastic answers to my questions within an hour of the message being posted.

Good luck
      Kaye

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
        Then you can arrive pre-armed with the grave locations (maybe they will mark it on a map and fax it or mail it to you) rather than waste your traveling time doing the footwork.
        Thanks Dennis!
        --
        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Kaye Saunders View Post
          Or, if Dennis's suggestion doesn't bring any joy, join one of the mailing lists that covers the area for a week and ask them. Go to http://boards.rootsweb.com/localitie...nd.lnd/mb.ashx for the lists.

I joined the "London" one from here and had fantastic answers to my questions within an hour of the message being posted.

Good luck
          Kaye
          Great idea! Thanks!
          --
          Mark

Comment

Working...
          X