X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre 1820 Maine

Hello,

How should I record place information for events in what is now the state of Maine but before 1820 was the part of Massachusetts? Should I list town, county, Maine or town, county, Massachusetts?

Thanks,

Marc

Re: Pre 1820 Maine

I have similar situations occurring in England where the county borders have changed over time.

I deal with it by using the county it was in at the time the event occurred.

Whether this is the correct way to handle it or not I don't know, so will be interested to learn what others say.

Yvonne
    researching: LAIT (all) and REEDS (all) in England
    http://www.yvonnereeds.com
    MacBook Air, Reunion 12, Safari 15.

Comment

Originally posted by Gadifer View Post
      How should I record place information for events in what is now the state of Maine but before 1820 was the part of Massachusetts? Should I list town, county, Maine or town, county, Massachusetts?
      One option is something like:

Scarboro, Massachusetts (now Maine)
      Dennis J. Cunniff
      Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Gadifer View Post
        Hello,

Thanks,

Marc
        According to my professional sources, the proper notation would be: Scarboro, York County, District of Maine, Massachusetts.

1. Scarboro (the name of the town at the time of the event in question)
        2. York County (all of Maine was York County, Massachusetts before 1790)
        3. District of Maine (the official designation for Maine before it became a state and separate from Massachusetts)
        4. Massachusetts (the official state government for Maine before 1820)

HTH.
        Arnold
        -----
        RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Originally posted by AE Palmer View Post
          According to my professional sources, the proper notation would be: Scarboro, York County, District of Maine, Massachusetts.

3. District of Maine (the official designation for Maine before it became a state and separate from Massachusetts)

HTH.
          I have to agree with AE Palmer

Also, check out this file... http://publications.newberry.org/ahc...ountiesPDF.zip

Comment

Originally posted by AE Palmer View Post

HTH.
            This is very timely since I am adding a bunch of early Maine ancestors. I shall try to use the proper notation from now on but it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Mick

Comment

Working...
            X