This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1911 Census Sheets Query

On most of the 1911 Census sheets there is a number in red ink at the bottom of the sheet towards the left. I know that this indicates the number of children under 10 in the household having been rechecked by the enumerator. Where this differs from the named list of under 10s it may indicate the recording of a deceased child. The green figure relates to the number of servants. There is, however, often other information recorded that does not mean anything to me and wonder if anyone can help?

A good example of this is for the household of Frederick Adams b. ca 1881 in Upper Stratton, Wiltshire, Reference: SWINDON, Wiltshire, RG14PN11763 RG78PN650 RD240 SD1 ED9 SN172 where there is written in green after the occupation and extending into the next 2 columns the figures 629 630-4. The dash in this is a long connecting dash to the 4 which appears in the 'whether employed worker' column. Has anyone any idea what this is all about?

More generally were there any rules for enumerators about entering extraneous information on the 1911 Census and, for that matter, any of the other Census?

Thanks for any illumination!
    Andrew Allsop

Re: 1911 Census Sheets Query

It may be helpful to know which census sheets you speak of. This California boy thinks it's somewhere in the British Empire as Upper This or Lower That for a location is usually a British deal.....
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
      It may be helpful to know which census sheets you speak of. This California boy thinks it's somewhere in the British Empire as Upper This or Lower That for a location is usually a British deal.....
      Sorry for my provincial thinking, it is the UK 1911 Census.
      Andrew Allsop

Comment

I have found out what the numbers are, they are occupation codes.
        Andrew Allsop

Comment

Thanks for the update. I had nothing to offer but was curious.
          Tim Lundin
          Heartland Family Graphics
          http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by Allsop View Post
            I have found out what the numbers are, they are occupation codes.
            Is there a list anywhere of these codes and the corresponding occupations?
            Researching Allens of Yeovil and Worcester; Grahams of Liverpool; Green of London (Lambeth)

Comment

Originally posted by comefromaway View Post
              Is there a list anywhere of these codes and the corresponding occupations?
              Yes.

For Birth Place Codes: http://www.findmypast.co.uk/cms/fmp....m_campaign=gen

For Occupation Codes: http://www.1911census.co.uk/content/default.aspx?127
              Andrew Allsop

Comment

Working...
              X