Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding Father to one child and Step Parent to other two

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Adding Father to one child and Step Parent to other two

    Hi I am trying to add a Father (birth) to one child, and a Step parent (Father) to the other two children in family. The Father is the birth Father to one who is actually the youngest child.

    The two older children's Father is basically unkown as they disappeared. The Birth Father of the youngest child really only had a relationship with her.

    The Step Father has basically been the two older children's Father and sort of a
    Step Father to the youngest. While she still maintained a realtionship with her birth Father listed with her. Therefore I don't want the step Father listed with her. All three children had the same Mother.

    The Mother and Father of the youngest were married but are now divorced. The Step parents have never married.

    I have tried reading the manual but can't seem to get it through these senior brain cells.
    Do wish they just had included Step Parent in the relationship list would make things real easy.

    thanks to anyone who even attempts to help me on this.
    Marlene
    Last edited by monamar; 01 October 2012, 03:52 PM. Reason: clarifiicatiion

    #2
    Re: Adding Father to one child and Step Parent to other two

    Originally posted by monamar View Post
    Hi I am trying to add a Father (birth) to one child, and a Step parent (Father) to the other two children in family. The Father is the birth Father to one who is actually the youngest child.

    The two older children's Father is basically unkown as they disappeared. The Birth Father of the youngest child really only had a relationship with her.

    The Step Father has basically been the two older children's Father and sort of a
    Step Father to the youngest. While she still maintained a realtionship with her birth Father listed with her. Therefore I don't want the step Father listed with her. All three children had the same Mother.

    The Mother and Father of the youngest were married but are now divorced. The Step parents have never married.

    I have tried reading the manual but can't seem to get it through these senior brain cells.
    Do wish they just had included Step Parent in the relationship list would make things real easy.

    thanks to anyone who even attempts to help me on this.
    Marlene
    While I think I understand the issues here, before going into details about fixing the problem, a question - in Reunion, do you have a single family card with the mother with all three children and no father ? If not, please explain how you currently have them.
    Peter Cook
    Rossmoyne, Western Australia
    OSX 10.13.6 & iOS 12.4.6; Reunion 12.0 [200602];ReunionTouch 1.0.15

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Adding Father to one child and Step Parent to other two

      Originally posted by Peter Cook View Post
      While I think I understand the issues here, before going into details about fixing the problem, a question - in Reunion, do you have a single family card with the mother with all three children and no father ? If not, please explain how you currently have them.
      Hi Peter, Thank you for your prompt response. As of yet I haven't made family cards, I have just entered each person individually.

      Marlene

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Adding Father to one child and Step Parent to other two

        Originally posted by monamar View Post
        Hi Peter, Thank you for your prompt response. As of yet I haven't made family cards, I have just entered each person individually.

        Marlene
        Ouch, O.K. meaning the three children are not attached to the mother's card, and based on your first post no father's have been entered.

        What I'd do is first get the 'families' together. Starting on the mother's card, click on the empty spouse button - while you have no names, enter something like "1st liaison" in the 'first & midname' field, and click done. Click on the marriage button above the couple, click on "Marriage' and select the 'Unmarried' option, then the 'Done' button. Back at the family card, click on the '+ Children' button below it, and then click on the appropriate sex "add ... child from the sidebar" button - use the box at the top of the sidebar to find her first child, then click and drag that child's name to the children area and drop.

        Step 2 is to add the second father & link the child - click on the + button above the mother, and select "add new spouse' - enter something like "2nd liaison" for the spouse name - adjust the 'marriage' info, and link to the second child as in step 1.

        Step 3 for the first and only marriage, repeat the above steps using the known name, and add the marriage details in the marriage box - you can add both the marriage and divorce details here - when that's done, you can link to the daughter (3rd child) as described above.

        Final steps - add the step father as another spouse in exactly the same way, entering his name - in the marriage box you can select 'De facto" or one of the other descriptors in place of 'Marriage'. Next for the two children for whom he is the step father, add them to the step father's family card still as described above, choosing 'Duplicate' (NOT 'Move') in the dialog box which will appear. Finally for each of the step children in the children box, click on the dropdown arrow (top right of their button) select child status (3rd option) and select 'Step Child' to apply a colour border to the child button.

        For help on the above click on help, then type 'adding spouses' in the query box. #1 deals with both methods described above. Then type child status in the query box. #1 pictorially explains the process given in the last step & #5 tells you how to change the button border colour.
        Peter Cook
        Rossmoyne, Western Australia
        OSX 10.13.6 & iOS 12.4.6; Reunion 12.0 [200602];ReunionTouch 1.0.15

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Adding Father to one child and Step Parent to other two

          I have tried to do this several times and just as I think I managed to do it I go back and check and seem to have something wrong.
          Most of the time I keep getting the name of the Father as Father of all 3 children. Using version nine. I will be getting Reunion 10 shortly.

          Any ideas, no idea what I am doing wrong.
          Must be a senior moment or that's my excuse and I am sticking to it.
          Other than trying it several times.

          Thanks to anyone who knows more than I do. Think that is where the problems lies just not enough experience with the program.
          Marlene

          Comment

          Working...
          X