This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request To Remove Name From Web Card

I have received a request from a distant cousin to remove her child's name from her family's web card. Her reasoning is privacy concerns. The card is already filtered, containing only the names of the father, mother, and child. No dates or locations are included.

Others must have run in to the same type request. What is the general feeling on how I should treat this? My initial reaction is to decline removing the name, as no personal identifying information is contained on the family card.

Thanks for your advise.
    Last edited by rwalcik; 20 September 2012, 10:29 AM.

Re: Request To Remove Name From Web Card

Originally posted by rwalcik View Post
    ...no personal identifying information is contained on the family card.
    Your above statement is not quite true actually. Based on your description, you are revealing the mother's maiden name, which many consider to be personal information. Especially if that child is living.
    Byron Spoon

Comment

I have received a request from a distant cousin to remove her child's name from her family's web card. Her reasoning is privacy concerns. The card is already filtered, containing only the names of the father, mother, and child. No dates or locations are included.

Others must have run in to the same type request. What is the general feeling on how I should treat this? My initial reaction is to decline removing the name, as no personal identifying information is contained on the family card.

Thanks for your advise.
      I'm not sure where it is on this version of Reunion, but there is a Privacy filter. I have used this in Reunion 9 and it carried over to 10. I put that anyone born after 1900, who is still living is not named nor pictured on my website.
      I'm sure one of the Tech people can tell you where to find this.

Janet
      Janet Mobley, Petaluma, CA:
      http://larkerobbinsfamily.net

Comment

You should honor the request. Not only are you in fact revealing personal information in he form of the name and relationships, but it is not your call to make whether you are comfortable having the information out there.

Comment

Thanks for your advise.
          The child's name should be removed, if only because the mother requested it--living people are different from dead folks. Also, as another responder pointed out, mother's maiden name is still there -- and it's a standard security question (and one that I never use).
          Kate McCain

Researching BARKER, FESSLER, KENEIPP, MCCAIN, MORRIS, MONTGOMERY, RAIFORD, WOOTTON, (and in Georgia-- WEBB, EVERETT, LUCKEY, LOWMAN)

Comment

As much as I don't like it or agree w/it when that request is made, I honor it. I only post "dead people", no "living" individuals. With today's times of "Identity Theft", it is too risky. I use that as a qualifier and disclaimer when I am trying to glean personal information from relatives.

I am not always successful, but sometimes that disclaimer works for me in getting information and having my relatives trust me w/their information.

Comment

Thanks for your advise.
              My general reaction to this type of request is to comply with the request. In my mind, the tradeoff is "family harmony", no matter how distant the cousin, vs usefulness of publishing the family tree. What I would do is replace the child's name on the web card with "female child", or something similar.

-----===== Bill =====-----

Comment

I feel so strongly about this subject, having been on the receiving end, that I just had to post a comment. I don't think ANY details about living people should be posted on the internet ever, UNLESS you have permission first. I'm also dismayed at what some people post about a deceased person, and then justify it by saying it's the truth, without any thought for the living relatives of that person and how they may feel about it. It may be the truth but posting peoples lives on the internet isn't something that should be taken lightly. These are people we are talking about, and your family members at that.

Comment

I live with these requests since 1995 when I first published by database online. Because of or thanks to Google's indexing my website early on, many people find themselves when googling their names. As a result, my database of allied families grew to about 250,000 names. Among these I delete about 6500 names from the website at their requests. In my case about 80 % of them are from France.

Regardless of the reasons for the requests, I always delete the person(s) from the website within 24 hours. I never argue for the reasons given even though some of the data did come from their close relatives. In few cases, I even ask Google to delete them from their database.

The issue of what constitute privacy changes from country to country. I could elaborate on the reasons (stated or implied). I published a paper in Avotaynu in 2004 and could send it to you off Reunion List . It is 220 K just above the limit for attachements.

Alain
                  Alain Farhi
                  http://www.farhi.org

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone. Though I would have preferred not to I have removed the child's name from my web site.

Comment

Working...
                    X