This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Ancestry.com

Am I the only one having trouble staying signed in when using Ancestry.com on Safari? I did speak with several people at Ancestry and they offered a possible solution but it didn't help. Their only other suggestion was to use Firefox but I'm having a different problem there. When I do a search for a person the search results are garbled - one line of type obscures the other so you can't tell which database the record is found in. Also, when clicking on the link to view a record it often goes to the record above or below the one clicked on. Any help, suggestions? And back to Safari vs. Firefox - there are other things that just don't work as smoothly on Firefox - even the first person I spoke with at Ancestry said she preferred Safari. I do have the latest versions of both Safari and Firefox. The Firefox problem is only on my iMac. On my MacAir (still using snow leopard if that's relevant) it's fine using same version of Firefox.
    Sara Bradley Mason
    kywiaz at gmail dot com

Re: Problems with Ancestry.com

Originally posted by Sara View Post
    Am I the only one having trouble staying signed in when using Ancestry.com on Safari?
    Well, I've used Safari accessing Ancestry.com in both Snow Leopard and Lion and have never had any problem staying signed in. So I don't think your problem is likely to be Safari per se.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
      Well, I've used Safari accessing Ancestry.com in both Snow Leopard and Lion and have never had any problem staying signed in. So I don't think your problem is likely to be Safari per se.
      I should have said that the people I spoke with at Ancestry said that this was a known problem - which version of Safari are you using? They thought it might be more recent updates causing the trouble. Also, someone at the Mac Support Forum who tried to help said she was having the same problem while she was assisting me.
      Sara Bradley Mason
      kywiaz at gmail dot com

Comment

I should have said that the people I spoke with at Ancestry said that this was a known problem - which version of Safari are you using? They thought it might be more recent updates causing the trouble. Also, someone at the Mac Support Forum who tried to help said she was having the same problem while she was assisting me.
        I always have a recent version. Currently 5.1.5, though I think there's an update today that I haven't done yet.
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

I've heard of this affecting Macintosh users, but have not experienced it myself, so whatever it is, it's not "all" Macintosh or Safari users.

Roger
          Roger Moffat
          http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
          http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

It has been happening to me also. Seems to have started about 4 or 5 months ago. Many times it has been late at night/early morning when it happens (I'm a night owl!). However, it just happened to me again, daytime, a couple of days ago. I, too, have been told to switch to Firefox. If it is Safari, maybe this latest update to Safari will fix it.
            Kaye Mushalik
            -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
            -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
            -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

I had the garbled type/link issue using Safari on Ancestry and opted to use FF when this happened. The latest release of Safari seems to have corrected this particular problem. I have never had an issue with losing connection in either FF or Safari on Ancestry although Ancestry's site can be painfully slow at times and the search feature could use a good deal of improvement.
              Tom Brown

Comment

Also, when clicking on the link to view a record it often goes to the record above or below the one clicked on. Any help, suggestions?
                I've been having this problem for a while. It didn't dawn on me to contact ancestry.co.uk which is what I use. As a work-around, I use the arrows on the comma and full-stop keys to navigate. It works. [Note to self: contact ancestry] :-)
                Jan Powell
                in Wellington, New Zealand
                http://www.rellyseeker.nz/
                --
                Apple/Mac since 1987, Reunion since 1993

Comment

I have been using Chrome "Google Chrome" and have had no problems, I prefer it over both Safari and Firefox.

Ron Gephart
                  San Jose, California

Comment

.........trouble staying signed in when using Ancestry.com on Safari...........one line of type obscures the other so you can't tell which database the record is found in. Also, when clicking on the link to view a record it often goes to the record above or below the one clicked on...........
                    The first is not likely to be a Safari problem nor a Chrome or Firefox, etc.. problem. It is much more likely to be a "weak link" somewhere in your connection to the Internet.

Regarding the overwrite, I too have been seeing that since version 5.1 was released. It seems to be limited to a drifting of the "View Image" link only toward the bottom of a window. Set your view to showing 50 records and it will minimize the number of these that you see.
                    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                      The first is not likely to be a Safari problem nor a Chrome or Firefox, etc.. problem. It is much more likely to be a "weak link" somewhere in your connection to the Internet.

Regarding the overwrite, I too have been seeing that since version 5.1 was released. It seems to be limited to a drifting of the "View Image" link only toward the bottom of a window. Set your view to showing 50 records and it will minimize the number of these that you see.
                      Thanks to everyone who has answered. I was interested to see if others were having the inability to stay signed-in problem and, if so, whether Ancestry's suggested fix worked for them. As I said, they agreed that others were having this problem. In my case sometimes I can work for quite awhile (even hours) and other times it happens immediately whenever I try to access an original record. Ancestry also said this unpredictable behavior was typical, that Safari was not supported, and to use Firefox.

The other problem (and you're right, it's the "view image" link) is on Firefox - not Safari. And only on my iMac with Lion, not on my MacAir with Snow Leopard - both have Firefox 12. I'll try your suggestion.
                      Sara Bradley Mason
                      kywiaz at gmail dot com

Comment

I was having different problems with Ancestry.com
                        Robert Godfrey

http://www.QuoddyLoop.com
                        A 3-Nation Vacation in Maine, Sipayik, & New Brunswick

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                          Set your view to showing 50 records and it will minimize the number of these that you see.
                          Tried this - didn't help my problem but I'm wondering why I never changed that before - sure do like 50 rather than 20.

Originally posted by Robert Godfrey View Post
                          If you have any Safari extensions, you might try turning them off, one at a time, restarting Safari, and then seeing if the problem has vanished.
                          Checked - have no extensions.
                          Sara Bradley Mason
                          kywiaz at gmail dot com

Comment

Am I the only one having trouble staying signed in when using Ancestry.com on Safari? I did speak with several people at Ancestry and they offered a possible solution but it didn't help.
                            Yes, I am also one of those having the same problem while using Safari 5.0.5.

Ancestry's only solution was for me to use my Firefox 12.0
                            I switched to Firefox and have had no problems, although the display is quite different.

I thought the problem started about 3 or 4 months ago when Ancestry did a viewer update, but I was never able to isolate the exact time frame or cause.

-roger-

Comment

I had the same problem when I was looking at the ancestry.com 1940 census images in multiple tabs -- kept having to re-sign in. I got a reply from ancestry with several suggestions. The only one that I tried and the one that worked was to make sure Java was turned on in the Safari preferences. I had just recently turned if off because of the Java virus. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X