Pictures of people - how long to keep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pictures of people - how long to keep

We have pictures of people in our trees and in some cases have pictures when they were babies, teens and young adults. This can make the family file large. I am thinking of just keeping the latest pictures of each person in our family tree. Kids, especially, change significantly as they grow up. Was wondering what other people do with pictures of people?
    I did a quick search in ReunionTalk and could not find a thread on this subject and if there is one, please share the link.
    Thanks

Re: Pictures of people - how long to keep

Originally posted by hseobush View Post
    This can make the family file large.
    Just as an FYI, if you're using Reunion 11, you can reduce the size of the family file (sometimes significantly) by changing the settings for large thumbnails or completely omitting them. That can be done via:

Reunion -> Preferences... , Multimedia, Rebuild Thumbnails...

HTH
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

We have pictures of people in our trees and in some cases have pictures when they were babies, teens and young adults. This can make the family file large. I am thinking of just keeping the latest pictures of each person in our family tree. Kids, especially, change significantly as they grow up. Was wondering what other people do with pictures of people?
      I did a quick search in ReunionTalk and could not find a thread on this subject and if there is one, please share the link.
      Thanks
      I like to include photos within my Reunion database of individuals whenever possible through their different phases of life. I would never dispose of any photos of family I have in my possession. With today's modern technology it is easy to store them on various, reasonably priced media. As such they can be entrusted to other younger family historians. Hopefully you have someone to pass your study and data on to and your photo files are properly named. At the very least maybe a local genealogy library would appreciate having the media within their archives.
      Rick

Using Reunion 11.0.11 on my MacBook Pro (3.1 GHz, 8GB RAM).

Comment

Thanks
        In my opinion, I save EVERYTHING. As was said before there are many drives and media to hold everything you have. In addition to pictures of people at all ages, I like to have a picture of the grave or tombstone, and if nothing else a copy of the person's signature brings one a bit closer to these people. Even a photo of their home, many of which are still standing and you can find on Google Earth. The more you have on an ancestor the better in my opinion.
        Frank
        Frank Zwolinski
        Researching: Zwolinski, Zubris, Ward, Wichlacz, Six, Sidney/Sypniewskie, Rickner, Mulligan, McElroy, Maciejewski, Loisy, Lindsay, Konjey, Konieczki, Janick, Ellis, Cornish, Chlebowski, Sass, Soch.
        MacBook Pro, OS X 10.8.5, Reunion 11, FireFox 38.0.5, Safari 6.2.2

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Zwolinski View Post
          ...Even a photo of their home, many of which are still standing and you can find on Google Earth.
          Frank
          You can also often find current photos of the old home on Zillow.com. Sometimes it even gives the year the house was built.

Kaye
          Kaye Mushalik
          -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
          -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
          -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
            You can also often find current photos of the old home on Zillow.com. Sometimes it even gives the year the house was built.

Kaye
            And realtor.com also.
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Thank you all for the other suggestions for pictures of houses.

However to the original request of "saving family photos" I feel very strongly that in genealogy there is no such thing as "too much information." Of course, this is my personal opinion. The member who wrote the original post might be interested in the opinions of others so perhaps each of you could chime in about saving these important resources. Yes, it takes space but isn't that what this hobby (or lifestyle) is all about. Again, not to harp, this is my opinion as my family historian. Saving everything is MY joy, and sharing with my family is equally important so, that is my two cents.

Frank
              Frank Zwolinski
              Researching: Zwolinski, Zubris, Ward, Wichlacz, Six, Sidney/Sypniewskie, Rickner, Mulligan, McElroy, Maciejewski, Loisy, Lindsay, Konjey, Konieczki, Janick, Ellis, Cornish, Chlebowski, Sass, Soch.
              MacBook Pro, OS X 10.8.5, Reunion 11, FireFox 38.0.5, Safari 6.2.2

Comment

Originally posted by Spyneyes View Post
                I like to include photos within my Reunion database of individuals whenever possible through their different phases of life. I would never dispose of any photos of family I have in my possession. With today's modern technology it is easy to store them on various, reasonably priced media. As such they can be entrusted to other younger family historians. Hopefully you have someone to pass your study and data on to and your photo files are properly named. At the very least maybe a local genealogy library would appreciate having the media within their archives.
                I agree part of genealogy is having "everything" but maybe opt to not have all the pics online but make note that those interested in archival photos (you'd have to note timeframe) may contact you specifying details of which family members they are interested in.
                ====
                macRBC
                Reunion user since 2009
                macOS 10.11.16 El Capitan
                Reunion v11.0.11

Comment

Working...
                X