This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listing people in mixed up families

I've been doing some research on a collateral family branch and I've run into a real mess. A pair of young siblings were listed in a family in the 1920 census with a surname different from the householder, and were there identified as "adopted." I found them in subsequent census records, along with their actual mother. She was married at least twice,and I've seen the kids (and two other siblings) with both surnames. So I don't actually know, absent marriage dates for their mother, which was the "correct" surname. How the heck does one list all that in Reunion?

Re: Listing people in mixed up families

Originally posted by Pat Bell View Post
    I've been doing some research on a collateral family branch and I've run into a real mess. A pair of young siblings were listed in a family in the 1920 census with a surname different from the householder, and were there identified as "adopted." I found them in subsequent census records, along with their actual mother. She was married at least twice,and I've seen the kids (and two other siblings) with both surnames. So I don't actually know, absent marriage dates for their mother, which was the "correct" surname. How the heck does one list all that in Reunion?
    I think until you know differently, I would list them with the one that is used most commonly, and use the 'Alias' field to list the alternate name. I'd probably also use a Note to explain everything you know about the circumstances and name. You can always change it later if you get evidence that sways you in a different direction.
    Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Working...
    X