This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I knew then, what I know now...

Has anyone ever considered starting completely over? When I first started, I got quite carried away with Ancestry and the thrill of the hunt. Fast and furious discovery. Let's just say, not too careful or academic. Now my sources are like swiss cheese, missing, duplicate, incorrectly cited. The dreaded "other people's research" has not been verified or substantiated. And it's huge!

I have grown and learned so much along the way. I am considering starting over, carefully and thoughtfully growing a sturdier and healthier family tree. Developing a quality and consistent recording practice. I wouldn't be starting from scratch as I have many, many digital documents and family pictures to reevaluate and cite with a more discerning eye.

Asking for opinions. Has anyone done this? Was it worth it?
    Last edited by tarilyns; 06 March 2016, 12:59 PM.

Re: If I knew then, what I know now...

The earlier parts of my tree are like that and I know what you mean. But I've never considered starting from scratch (that's a lot of data entry!) What I do is consider the unsourced parts of my tree as "sketches" and I paint right over them with more research and sourcing as I find the time. I figure, when I post the tree in various places, the lack of sources in some areas of it speak for themselves. Real genealogists are only in it for the sources. :-)

Comment

Interesting thread tarilyns.....
      I'll bet there are thousands of hobbyists out there, not just Reunion users, who get the bug and go "ancestor chasing", and assume any old thing they see on the 'net is genuine. Online services such as Ancestry make it all seem so easy, when all they are is a business selling to any old suckers as well as genuine researchers. The reality was and remains that you can't beat or do without, good old fashioned, documented and verified research. Sources for everything, and every detail verified has always been the best way.
      Getting back 6 or 7 generations to 1837 or so isn't too difficult but going back further is often going to involve painstaking research in original records, museums, Parish Registers and so on.
      I guess whether you start all over again is down to numbers . With a few hundred people in a database, I'd say it was practical and definitely worthwhile. Entering data second time in reunion is always going to be a quicker process and you have the satisfaction of knowing that everything you enter is correct and verified. But if you have a database of many thousands, its much more of a task and down to your willpower and personal goals..
      Reunion gives you a compromise possibility. If I am given branches of unverified information, I will still put it in my Family File, but in a different colour ! I add comments in red which I can instantly see, such as "No source, this not verified". You can also set up a flag for any person , such as unverified or no sources for this person. Reunion is a massively powerful tool when used of r serious research. You could further compromise to good effect , by exporting the parts of your database that you are satisfied are right, and getting ahead start in a new Family File, based on your present data.
      Rupert

Researching Large; Cuddon; Ford, Gadsdon and Fletcher

Comment

Yes. I started over. It's worth it. Now I feel like I can discuss my research with some authority, and have learned that chasing the proof is the most fascinating part!

Comment

Originally posted by rclrocco View Post
          Interesting thread tarilyns.....
          I'll bet there are thousands of hobbyists out there, not just Reunion users, who get the bug and go "ancestor chasing", and assume any old thing they see on the 'net is genuine. Online services such as Ancestry make it all seem so easy, when all they are is a business selling to any old suckers as well as genuine researchers. The reality was and remains that you can't beat or do without, good old fashioned, documented and verified research. Sources for everything, and every detail verified has always been the best way.
          Getting back 6 or 7 generations to 1837 or so isn't too difficult but going back further is often going to involve painstaking research in original records, museums, Parish Registers and so on.
          I guess whether you start all over again is down to numbers . With a few hundred people in a database, I'd say it was practical and definitely worthwhile. Entering data second time in reunion is always going to be a quicker process and you have the satisfaction of knowing that everything you enter is correct and verified. But if you have a database of many thousands, its much more of a task and down to your willpower and personal goals..
          Reunion gives you a compromise possibility. If I am given branches of unverified information, I will still put it in my Family File, but in a different colour ! I add comments in red which I can instantly see, such as "No source, this not verified". You can also set up a flag for any person , such as unverified or no sources for this person. Reunion is a massively powerful tool when used of r serious research. You could further compromise to good effect , by exporting the parts of your database that you are satisfied are right, and getting ahead start in a new Family File, based on your present data.
          Very interesting! How do you designate a different color for a branch of a tree? I like the idea of importing a branch and knowing if it's verified or not. And the comments-you put those in Misc. Notes?

One thing I have done in my own 'modified' Do Over is to add a photo to any source that is a tree (no sources included in said tree)-the photo says "Unproven information. Proceed with caution!" The letters are in red.

I am one of those many genealogists out there that just started adding information without sources and went crazy! I am now trying to re-do my tree but it's such a slow process. And I go off on many tangents. But I am doing what I can, when I can.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda....
          2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Comment

I just finished an excellent book on Do-overs, "The Genealogy Do-Over Workbook" by Thomas MacEntee. The do-over is completed in 12 months so there is not an overwhelming amount of stuff to be done at one time. He basis his redo on getting the citations first and the names second. The book is available on Kindle, or Amazon. I have nothing to do with the book or author other than I think it is worth the read.

just a thought.
            Eric Hagerty

Comment

Thank you everyone for sharing your two cents about starting from scratch. I began again today and quickly realized that I was up to my old tricks. This is going to be harder than I thought. To do this right, questions should be answered, parameters determined and citation formats should be decided to maintain some level of consistency BEFORE I start again. Time to scratch the noggin' not exercise the fingers.

Citations are my biggest stumbling block. I would like to follow a formal format, so if I decide to apply to DAR, everything will be good to go. Do I set up a source 'fill in the blank' template for census, vital records etc. Or use free form text and forfeit the GEDCOM tags? Technology is mucking up my mind, how important are the GEDCOM tags in the overall scheme of things?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Comment

Thanks, Eric. I will check it out.

Comment

Tarilyns, a quick tip for you which has helped me.
                  Always enter a source or citation BEFORE you enter a person's details. The other way round is where you went the first time round !!
                  Its a bit tiresome when you start but after an hour or so, its immensely satisfying knowing that every person you've entered has a proper source for his or her information.
                  Rupert

Researching Large; Cuddon; Ford, Gadsdon and Fletcher

Comment

Great advice! I have retreated into skill building before I begin. Setting up citation templates
                    for my most used resources. Progress!

Comment

Originally posted by tarilyns View Post
                      Great advice! I have retreated into skill building before I begin. Setting up citation templates
                      for my most used resources. Progress!
                      I didn't start over- but I am doing a GO-OVER. I am in the do-over group on Facebook- very valuable tips and processes. I started thinking how difficult it would be for my family to make sense of things after I am gone. Here is what I have done, starting in January.

1. I reorganized my files (2 very full, very long file drawers with info stuffed into surname folders). I could find things before, but not quickly. I generally followed Mary Hill's color-coded genealogy system for filing (google it). It not only makes things easy to find, but it will make it MUCH easier for my descendants or anyone else who wants my information. I threw out some irrelevant printouts and printed family group sheets and charts.

2. I then started re-analyzing each direct ancestor up to 5 generations (my gg grandparents). I looked for and entered missing census info, sources (some had to be completely re-done because I got sloppy in the last year or so) into Reunion and added them to my files. I checked those wiggly leaves in ancestry- and checked info I might have added to my ancestry tree and not into Reunion. I did one line at a time (there are 8 main family lines- grandparents for my husband and myself). Because my newspapers.com subscription is running out, I also did searches for each ancestor when I had time- and solved three genealogical mysteries! I also looked for where I should search next and entered it into a Reunion log for each family line- very basic. I am on my second to last family- and then I can get back to research.

3. I organized my digital files by family line and added color-coded tags.

4. After finishing a family line up to the gg grandparents, I printed out family group sheets and pedigree charts for all ancestors on the chart- and put in a simple binder that is just the 5 generations for my husband and myself. My adult kids aren't paticularly interested in genealogy, but maybe will at least look through that binder.

When I finish the next two lines, I will work on their descendants (rechecking sources etc.) and ancestors. And I have to organize my family photos- boxes? binders? A lifelong process!

Comment

Originally posted by Melinda Anderson View Post
                        I didn't start over- but I am doing a GO-OVER. I am in the do-over group on Facebook- very valuable tips and processes. I started thinking how difficult it would be for my family to make sense of things after I am gone. Here is what I have done, starting in January.
                        Thank you so much for sharing your four steps - this is very helpful - I believe this is exactly what I need to do!

Also, I am impressed (& encouraged!) that you have done this since beginning the process in January!!

Comment

Working...
                        X