This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rip ftm

I just received an email from Ancestry that states they will stop selling Family Tree Maker on Dec 31, 2015. Looks as if I switched to Reunion at the right time.

Re: Rip ftm

It seems that the Mac version of FTM has been on and off the market, then back on and off again several times. In part for that reason, I stopped using it long ago.

Comment

It has had a good run. The product started in the early 1980's as a DOS program published by a small company named BannerBlue in Hayward, CA. Broderbund bought BannerBlue to get the software. They converted it to the very earliest version of Windows and renamed it Family Tree Maker and a couple years later added a Mac version. After a few years, a startup named Ancestry bought it and let the Mac version languish. When OSX came out, they did not develop it for the new environment and quit selling it. The more recent history you know.
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

And Reunion has been around since Hypercard days!

Comment

Originally posted by donworth View Post
          And Reunion has been around since Hypercard days!
          Just got out my Reunion 4 User's Guide (409 pages long) and found, tucked between pages, a mailer from Leister titled "Top 20 Reasons to Upgrade" and the first item on the list is: "1. Reunion no longer uses HyperCard." In the margin, I had noted that I ordered the program on Aug 30, 1994. The manual itself shows Copyright 1988-1994.

I decided to do a trip down memory lane. I found my folder that has upgrade info for many of the upgrades plus purchase receipts. Guess what? I found that Leister costs less now. To wit: My original purchase of Reunion was from MacConnection on Dec 31, 1991, for $115 plus $3 shipping for a total of $118. This was the only HyperCard stack that I even spent much time with.
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

What about Inago Gets Out???
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X