Problems with Dropbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Dropbox

I almost exclusively use my MBP, every now and then I use my iMac as well. Alle have DropBox, DropBox doesn't report any problems. I noticed on The iMac that some updates in the file were not available, so I checked sharing status (after consulting this forum), which didn't show my MBP as being shared with. I went back to my MBP and got after starting a conflict report with my Reunion data file (one MBP, one iMac). I choose the iMac version, which I realized was very stupid, as I had only been using my MBP. Probably lost 6 months os information. I checked sharing status on my MBP: this file is not being shared! The reset button mentioned in the manual is nowhere to be seen. I went back to the iMac, after shutting down the MBP, looked fine but sharing status there now also said, this file is not being shared. Shut down and went back to the MBP, opened by double-clicking the file in the dropbox, got a conflict again. Chose iMac and got the file is still open on the iMac, which I had turned off. So chose Open and sharing status still days not being shared. I have never been a fan of DropBox, it doesn't get better.

Are you running Time Machine or some other backup program on your MBP -- maybe you cold restore the data file you overwrote.

I love Dropbox. I've been using it since it first went online and I use it to sync several applications in addition to Reunion.
    Researching Western NC and Northeast GA and any family connected to Caney Fork in Jackson County, NC

Comment

I have been using Dropbox for several years. Usually when I have a problem it is because I have not kept up with the improvements it has made over the years. (I am not implying that that is the cause of your problems.) I hope someone here that really knows their way around Dropbox can help you determine and correct the problems that you experiencing.

Comment

Originally posted by FaZant View Post
        ...so I checked sharing status ... , which didn't show my MBP as being shared with.
        When only syncing between two Mac's, the Sharing Status will report that the file is not being shared. It will only report the file is being shared when syncing it with ReunionTouch on an iPad or iPhone. Which is to say, what you're seeing here is normal, assuming you're only syncing the file between two Mac's.

The reset button mentioned in the manual is nowhere to be seen.
        This is also normal - if a file is not being synced with ReunionTouch, there is no sharing to reset, so this button won't be present.

I choose the iMac version, which I realized was very stupid, as I had only been using my MBP. Probably lost 6 months os information.
        Assuming this was done recently, you should be able to restore the lost information.

Close the family file on your Mac's, go to Dropbox.com and login to your account, then go to All Files on the left. Look for the family file in question (note: it will appear as a folder on Dropbox) and click on it to view the contents of the family file package/folder.

At the top of the list of files in the family file package, to the right of the +Create button, click the three dots and select Show Deleted Files. In the list of files look for a file called "familyfile.familydata conflicted copy" (or something along those lines) that has the name of the MBP in the filename (if the conflicted copy mentions the iMac instead, see below). If you see it, mouse over the file and click the three dots to the right of it, then select Restore from the menu that opens to restore it. Once restored, if you open the file on one of your Mac's, you should get the message about conflicted copies and be able to select the right copy to keep.

If instead of a conflicted copy of the "familyfile.familydata" file mentioning the MBP, you see one mentioning the iMac, then instead of restoring the conflicted copy, click the three dots to the right of the existing "familyfile.familydata" file, go to Activity and select Version History. Then, look for a version of the file from before the data was lost and Restore it.

As for avoiding such issues in the future, please search "dropbox" (no quotes) in the manual (Help -> Contents) and read the entry that covers sharing a family file between to Mac's via Dropbox. It includes some very important tips to avoid these types of syncing issues.

HTH
        Mark Harrison
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X