Collaborative work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collaborative work

I am helping a colleague at a distance with his Reunion database. The problem is I would like to modify directly his file, I know we can share a file on Dropbox but we can't modify. Is that correct? another solution will be welcomed.
    Thanks in advance for your help
    Michele
    Michèle Bergeron
    www.mamieblue.ca

I think If you can share the file via dropbox you can also make changes to it. I share my file in dropbox but only share it with my iPad and I can make most changes on either device.

Comment

Originally posted by Michele B. View Post
      I am helping a colleague at a distance with his Reunion database. The problem is I would like to modify directly his file, I know we can share a file on Dropbox but we can't modify. Is that correct?...
      Lots of users share their family files via Dropbox in order to collaborate with others. It's possible to give others permission to edit files in Dropbox. Information on how to do so can be found here...

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folde...er-permissions

Also, here are some suggestions when sharing a family file over more than one Mac...

1. Be sure to allow Dropbox to finish syncing before shutting down your Mac.
      2. Be sure to allow Dropbox to finish syncing before opening a family file in Dropbox.
      3. The family file can only be opened by one person at a time.
      4. Also, if media items are added (pictures, videos, audio files), those files should be stored in a shared folder on Dropbox so they can be accessed by Reunion on each Mac.

I hope you find this information helpful
      Deb Stuller
      Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

I would recommend TeamViewer (https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/). While it costs $$ for commercial and government use, it is free to individual users. Not only can you see but one party can allow the other to take control remotely. Apple actually used this application for several years until they developed their own in-house system.

Also, we are all getting to be quite familiar with Zoom. You can connect one to one with Zoom and have your colleague share his/her screen with you. (Both of you need Zoom accounts; takes literally a minute to set up an account and is free.)
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
          I would recommend TeamViewer (https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/). While it costs $$ for commercial and government use, it is free to individual users. Not only can you see but one party can allow the other to take control remotely. Apple actually used this application for several years until they developed their own in-house system.

Also, we are all getting to be quite familiar with Zoom. You can connect one to one with Zoom and have your colleague share his/her screen with you. (Both of you need Zoom accounts; takes literally a minute to set up an account and is free.)
          I, also, recommend Teamviewer. Especially so, since if you open Reunion, the other party needs to be disconnected from it.
          Disclaimer---I have not tried to the above.
          rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Many thanks to all of you. Our work will be much easier!
            Michèle Bergeron
            www.mamieblue.ca

Comment

Originally posted by SGilbert View Post

I, also, recommend Teamviewer. Especially so, since if you open Reunion, the other party needs to be disconnected from it.
              Disclaimer---I have not tried to the above.
              While I have not done Reunion via TeamViewer, I have used TeamViewer a lot. If one is just looking at the other party's screen, there would be no reason to close either their copy of Reunion or yours. One is only, so to speak, looking through binoculars at a distant object.

If one takes control of their computer, again, there is no reason to close either copy. One is working their application and their Dropbox directly on their computer. One just happens to be sitting in a chair one hundred or five thousand miles distant.

There is no need or reason to "share" via Dropbox unless you want to work on the same file on the same account.

Comment

As Deb, of Leister, said here" "3. The family file can only be opened by one person at a time." Referring, of course, to using Dropbox. Teamviewer SHOULD not have that limitation, however, caution would be advisable--back up first.
                rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Originally posted by SGilbert View Post
                  As Deb, of Leister, said here" "3. The family file can only be opened by one person at a time." Referring, of course, to using Dropbox. Teamviewer SHOULD not have that limitation, however, caution would be advisable--back up first.
                  When you open that other person's Reunion via TeamViewer, you are that "3" person. Note: Within the TeamViewer session, you can flip control back and forth between the distant person and the local person.

Comment

Working...
                  X