Additional sources slowness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Additional sources slowness

I was quite excited and happy with the recent changes to the sources functionality where there was a significant speed up when using sources while a search term was active. Since then I have been doing lots of source checking and editing and discovered an additional problem.

I cannot give precise steps to reproduce because it is a lengthy and imprecise process. I am doing the following on a 27" iMac 5K with 32GB of memory that does not have a lot of apps open, so there is, essentially, no memory pressure. I have a family file with almost 20,000 entries and 7037 sources, running version 13 build 201118. Startup R13 fresh
    Start listing sources (with a search term)
    Go through sources, select one, and run "Show citations"
    Use the resulting list to double click a person
    Verify source references, add some to person involved (for me that usually means changing an alternate name field: GEDCOM tag NAME)
    Do this for a little while and then observe:
    Click another source and select "Show citations". The list window is empty, but has a "Build citation list" button which needs to be clicked before results appear. Why is this happening, but more importantly what do you expect users to do, other than clicking the button. If you have no other action in mind, why not leave the button out, initiate the rebuilding with a spinner. Saves a step!
    Once you have experienced the first part above and continue working, this keeps happening more and more frequently and even the source list with search term starts to be noticeable slower (although still faster than before the earlier fix)
    It appears that rebuilding caches does not really fix this, and why should it. While editing cache files should be kept up to date automatically.
    Restarting the app does seem to fix it, for a while.
    My suspicion is some sort of either memory leak, or certain memory being released unexpectedly (weak pointer in MacOS terms?). Either way, this is a problem for daily use.
Working...
X