This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Releasing glue on photos in old album?

I have an old album, probably 1920's, and want to remove several pictures, which are remarkably in good condition. Problem is the original glue -how to soften it to be able to remove photo? Photos were put on both sides of black mounting so can not cut them out.
    Thanks
    Bonnie Samuel
    Research: Samuel, Gillan, Roper, McClure, Samuell, Windfuhr, Windgassen in NC, KY, IL, KS, Ireland, Germany.

Re: Releasing glue on photos in old album?

Use dental floss and work it between the photo and the page it is stuck to.

Comment

Use dental floss and work it between the photo and the page it is stuck to. It works with those old photo albums with sticky pages, may not work on your hardened glue.

Comment

Scan them at least 600 dpi before you attempt to remove them from the book!

Comment

DON'T!

Per Maureen A. Taylor's book "Preserving Your Family Photographs" (which I highly recommend for any genealogist), don't try to take the photos out of the album! No matter what you do, you will do more harm than good. The 2003 version of her book says that "According to the International Museum of Photography at George Eastman House, if your albums are older than the 1950's, then most of the deterioration that is going to occur has already happened." There are suggestions on how to preserve the albums. She suggests scanning the photos.

The best scanner I have found for this type of scanning is the Flip-Pal Mobile Scanner - flip-pal.com - which I have and also highly recommend. If you are not familiar with the Flip-Pal, be sure to check out the website. Good videos, free webinars.

Disclaimer: I have no connection to these two products except as a very satisfied customer!
          Kaye Mushalik
          -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
          -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
          -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Working...
          X