This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Separate Individual Family Files

When I first started using Reunion many years ago, I just started inputting my family information. They are now all in one big family file.

How do I separate out the different families? Any recommendations on organization? And I need technical help to actually create and assign the various families.

Thank you!

Re: Separate Individual Family Files

This question has often been asked, and the advice always given by the wise voice of experience is don't do it!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Talibard View Post
      This question has often been asked, and the advice always given by the wise voice of experience is don't do it!
      The repeated phrase on this forum is "don't do it." Keep everyone in one file.
      Michael's advice is "right on."

Bob
      Bob Goode
      Reunion 12.0; ReunionTouch 1.0.8; OS 10.14.2

Comment

Please add my voice to the choir. Why? Zero worries about redundant info, unsynchronized info, or lost relationships between blood relatives that show up in separated parts of the family. As your current concerns most likely relate to organizing, reporting, and sharing data, the searching, marking, and grouping features of Reunion are very robust and pretty much enable you to treat your entire file like it's a custom subset of data any time you need to. And without maintaining separate files.
        Last edited by ttl; 11 August 2013, 10:14 AM.
        Tim Lundin
        Heartland Family Graphics
        http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

And no one mentioned that it makes nearly twice as much work for you....
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Deborah Thompson View Post
            When I first started using Reunion many years ago, I just started inputting my family information. They are now all in one big family file.

How do I separate out the different families? Any recommendations on organization? And I need technical help to actually create and assign the various families.

Thank you!
            I do not know why you want to separate them (and the advice to keep everything in one file is good) but you may be able to accomplish what you want through the use of flags. If you provide a different flag for each of the families (including everyone in them) you can easily pull up just one family to work with, make reports, etc. This is but one reason for the advice not to separate your file into several files as it is not necessary to do so in Reunion.
            John McGee Leggett, Jr.
            Late 2014 MacMini, MacOS Mojave 10.14.3, Reunion 12, Safari 12.0.3
            Leggett Booth McGee King Coulter Morton Ashley Douglas Ranard Maners

Comment

Working...
            X