This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding sources from Ancestry

Just started adding sources to my data. Need help figuring out how to record this type of source information from Ancestry. Is Ancestry even a source in this case or would the original data be the source?

Would the source type be website?- and what fields are appropriate?

Source Information:
    Ancestry.com. New York, New York, Death Index, 1862-1948 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014.

Original data: Index to New York City Deaths 1862-1948. Indices prepared by the Italian Genealogical Group and the German Genealogy Group, and used with permission of the New York City Department of Records/Municipal Archives.

thanks!

Re: Adding sources from Ancestry

Originally posted by eventide View Post
    Just started adding sources to my data. Need help figuring out how to record this type of source information from Ancestry. Is Ancestry even a source in this case or would the original data be the source?

Would the source type be website?- and what fields are appropriate?

Source Information:
    Ancestry.com. New York, New York, Death Index, 1862-1948 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014.

Original data: Index to New York City Deaths 1862-1948. Indices prepared by the Italian Genealogical Group and the German Genealogy Group, and used with permission of the New York City Department of Records/Municipal Archives.

thanks!
    Ancestry is very general and it does not help much to review your sources. You should break down your source in terms of Census, 1910, or 1920or 1930, Virginia Births index, Social Securit Death Index etc. Thus if someone wants to access the source it would be easy to find. Sources are very important in genealogy. They are often the guarantee of serious data.

Gabriel

Comment

Thanks Gabriel. So am I understanding you correctly in that we should not use the Ancestry info below that it provides? Should I instead use the Original Data? And if so how would I format that?

Would the Title Be Index to New Youk City Deaths 1862-1948? And where would I put the info regarding the Italian Genealogical Group and he German Genealogy group?

Sorry to be so specific. i just want to get it right.

---------------------------------

Source Information:

Comment

Originally posted by eventide View Post
        Thanks Gabriel. So am I understanding you correctly in that we should not use the Ancestry info below that it provides? Should I instead use the Original Data? And if so how would I format that?

Would the Title Be Index to New Youk City Deaths 1862-1948? And where would I put the info regarding the Italian Genealogical Group and he German Genealogy group?

Sorry to be so specific. i just want to get it right.

---------------------------------

Source Information:

I probably don't put enough info in some of my sources but I've attached a few samples of how I do it with Ancestry & FamilySearch which is where a lot of my info comes from. I guess I'm assuming that if a descendant is interested in genealogy, they will subscribe to Ancestry. However, my FamilySearch sources are all listed under that website with everything else entered in the detail section.

May give you some ideas.
        Attached Files
        Kaye Mushalik
        -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
        -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
        -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

For what it's worth, mine look like this. They mostly came from Ancestry, but I don't mention that because someone else could access that Census elsewhere, and the fact that I went through Ancestry is not especially relevant. Ancestry is just a conduit. Similarly, if the source is a published book, I don't mention the bookseller or library where I happened to find the book.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks all! I appreciate the feedback.

Comment

I also am looking for a decent sourcing system. I have been using Reunion 10 for a couple of years now. I am highly frustrated with several items.
              I like to source as much info as I can. For me there is no such thing as too much information. I'll never know if someone later needs to find my information, but I add it it, just in case.
              When I encounter information then I add it and source it.
              As it is, I am frustrated that I can't adequately review what has been written without generating ANOTHER .rtf file. As such, I generate the file, review it then delete it. Will Reunion write to Notepad?
              This is frustrating when I want to stand back and see what has been done. I don't want to generate the whole report. I read the reviews about this program. I think, unless I'm missing huge chunks,I'll go to Legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by M Lavender View Post
                I also am looking for a decent sourcing system. I have been using Reunion 10 for a couple of years now. I am highly frustrated with several items.
                Have a look at Ben Sayers methodology to simplify source situation. http://genealogytools.com/reunion-10-for-mac-tutorials/

He has a unique document regarding sources for Reunion 10.
                ``````````````````````````````
                Grant

Comment

Originally posted by gathompson56 View Post
                  Have a look at Ben Sayers methodology to simplify source situation. http://genealogytools.com/reunion-10-for-mac-tutorials/

Unfortunately, the link to "Reunion 10 for Mac Tutorials" shows a lovely list in the Index (including one for Sources) but has a handful of tutorials repeated throughout the list, none on Sources. So I have downloaded Sayers' Kindle on citing and sources for Reunion 10.
                  Last edited by John Meara; 25 February 2015, 07:58 AM.
                  John in Brisbane, Australia
                  Reunion 12 & FTM on iMac, with Reunion & Ancestry on iPad & iPhone
                  Ancestry ID: johnmeara1
                  GEDmatch: A369974 & Admin for T578930, T249754, A943304, A193103, T826422

Comment

Originally posted by gathompson56 View Post

Where do you, in the link you provided, find anything about sources? I looked under the "Sources" heading and found "Deleting Branches in Reunion 10."

"Deleting Branches in Reunion 10" is also the link found under headings "branches","deleting","people" and "removing." I didn't find anything specifically about sources.
                    John Bastin
                    jbastin1@me.com
                    Researching: Bastin, Decker, Brake, Perry, Schmid, Sheppard, Matty, Fox, Orr, Eicher
                    Mac OS X 10.13.4, Reunion 12.0 (Build 180502) 64-bit

Comment

Working...
                    X