This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ReunionTalk & Google Chrome

I am running OS X 10.6.8 on an iMac, and found that Safari 5.1.10 was giving me
    increasing problems with many web-sites. I tried to update Safari but each attempt at a download failed.
    I loaded Google Chrome Version 44.0.2403.
    This solved all my existing problems but caused a problem with ReunionTalk:
    Each thread in ReunionTalk highlights unread entries, this highlight does not disappear when I read the post. I have to exit ReunionTalk and re-enter it for the highlight to disappear.

This is a nuisance only, not a major problem, but it would be nice if I can find a solution.

Re: ReunionTalk & Google Chrome

I find that if I use the browser's back button, thread titles stay highlighted. If I use the navigation links in ReunionTalk, it's not a problem. YMMV.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

For me it makes no diiference if I use the Browser back button, or ReunionTalk back button.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by ReunionTalk back button. Just to clarify, in the case of this thread, if I click on the "Using Software & Hardware with Reunion" link above, the title of this thread will show as being read. Apologies if that's what you've already tried.
        Tim Lundin
        Heartland Family Graphics
        http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bridges View Post
          I am running OS X 10.6.8 on an iMac, and found that Safari 5.1.10 was giving me
          increasing problems with many web-sites. I tried to update Safari but each attempt at a download failed.
          I loaded Google Chrome Version 44.0.2403.
          Each thread in ReunionTalk highlights unread entries, this highlight does not disappear when I read the post. I have to exit ReunionTalk and re-enter it for the highlight to disappear.

This is a nuisance only, not a major problem, but it would be nice if I can find a solution.
          The current OX X version is 10.10.8 and the current Safari version is 8.0.8. Perhaps you need to update your OS X 10.6.8 first and then update your Safari 5.1.10?
          John McGee Leggett, Jr.
          Late 2014 MacMini, MacOS Mojave 10.14.3, Reunion 12, Safari 12.0.3
          Leggett Booth McGee King Coulter Morton Ashley Douglas Ranard Maners

Comment

Originally posted by John M. Leggett View Post
            The current OX X version is 10.10.8 and the current Safari version is 8.0.8. Perhaps you need to update your OS X 10.6.8 first and then update your Safari 5.1.10?
            I am not sure if my older iMac supports any upgrades ?
            Also I anticipate some problems:
            1: I support 2 web-sites using iWeb, may have to find some alternative which will take some time to learn.
            2: I use Bootcamp to run WindowsXP, would upgrade to Windows 10, but it needs a few months to settle down.

Would prefer to wait for the 5 long months of winter here, and a new computer, before tackling this.

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
              I'm not sure what you mean by ReunionTalk back button. Just to clarify, in the case of this thread, if I click on the "Using Software & Hardware with Reunion" link above, the title of this thread will show as being read. Apologies if that's what you've already tried.
              Thank you, I have not used these features before.
              A minor nuisance is that I have to scroll up to the top of the thread to do it this way.

Comment

For me it makes no diiference if I use the Browser back button, or ReunionTalk back button.
                The thing is, if you use a Browser Back-Button, what you are doing is calling up a cached version of how the previous page looked before you moved on. If you then refresh that page you will see the difference. Conversely if you Click on the the Reunion Talk Section Header Link at the top of the page it will directly deliver an updated page of messages.

The design approach of having to move to the top of a Web Page to call up the message page is not really in keeping with up-to-date Web/Software design, but that is probably down to the 'limitations' of the Forum Software and it's the same on the vast majority of Web User Forums, including both Apple's and Microsoft's

Mervyn

Comment

This was fixed in Safari a few years ago: Safari wouldn't mark links as followed (or was it topics as read?) unless the page was reloaded. You should be able to work around it by hitting refresh (command-R) when looking at the index page.
                  Surnames Dresch, Eyden, Lunn, Mountfort, Page, Robinson, Ryan, Whitworth, and more.

Comment

I am not sure if my older iMac supports any upgrades ?
                    Also I anticipate some problems:
                    1: I support 2 web-sites using iWeb, may have to find some alternative which will take some time to learn.
                    2: I use Bootcamp to run WindowsXP, would upgrade to Windows 10, but it needs a few months to settle down.

Would prefer to wait for the 5 long months of winter here, and a new computer, before tackling this.
                    Paul,

What year is your iMac? I have an early 2009 iMac and it has supported all OS Mac upgrades so far. Apple.com shows El Capitan will be supported on Macs as old as 2007.

For an alternative to iWeb, take a look at Sandvox - http://www.karelia.com/products/sandvox/ - Great program! I am not a web expert at all. iWeb was about my speed. Sandvox has a somewhat steeper learning curve but I've found I can handle it. They have a demo download. They have a way to import most of your iWeb info. Not perfect but better than starting from scratch, although you may still want to (start from scratch, that is). If you decide to buy it, you can buy from the Mac App store but I recommend buying direct from the web site as the App store version is missing a few options. Here is what I have done so far - not much, but gives you an idea - http://kmush.com/mushstroop - Also, you can see what others have done at - http://www.sandvoxsites.com - not much genealogy but many ideas. Disclaimer: I have no connection to Karelia except as a very satisfied customer.

Hope this helps,
                    Kaye
                    Kaye Mushalik
                    -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
                    -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
                    -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
                      Paul,

For an alternative to iWeb, take a look at Sandvox - http://www.karelia.com/products/sandvox/ - Great program! I am not a web expert at all. iWeb was about my speed. Sandvox has a somewhat steeper learning curve but I've found I can handle it. They have a demo download. They have a way to import most of your iWeb info. Not perfect but better than starting from scratch, although you may still want to (start from scratch, that is). If you decide to buy it, you can buy from the Mac App store but I recommend buying direct from the web site as the App store version is missing a few options. Here is what I have done so far - not much, but gives you an idea - http://kmush.com/mushstroop - Also, you can see what others have done at - http://www.sandvoxsites.com - not much genealogy but many ideas. Disclaimer: I have no connection to Karelia except as a very satisfied customer.

Hope this helps,
                      Kaye
                      Thank you, this is the help I need. I will look into Sandvox.

Comment

Thank you, this is the help I need. I will look into Sandvox.
                        You are welcome. Please let me know what you think of Sandvox after you explore it. Others here might want to see another opinion (besides mine).
                        Kaye Mushalik
                        -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
                          Paul,

Hope this helps,
                          Kaye
                          I downloaded the trial version of Sandvox, and played around with it for an hour or two.
                          Unfortunately every time I try and use it now, it crashes. I have notified Karelia and they have acknowledged my e-mail, but no action yet.
                          I tried the iWeb translator (if that is the right word ?) and it does not help much with my largely photo-album websites.
                          In spite of the negative experiences so far, it may be what I need.
                          The alternatives seem to be web-site packages (i.e. you go to a web-site to build your own site) for which you pay an annual or monthly fee, and this is not the way I want to go.
                          I will continue with a trial Sandvox if they can fix my crash problem.

Comment

I downloaded the trial version of Sandvox, and played around with it for an hour or two.
                            Unfortunately every time I try and use it now, it crashes. I have notified Karelia and they have acknowledged my e-mail, but no action yet.
                            I tried the iWeb translator (if that is the right word ?) and it does not help much with my largely photo-album websites.
                            The alternatives seem to be web-site packages (i.e. you go to a web-site to build your own site) for which you pay an annual or monthly fee, and this is not the way I want to go.
                            Paul, Sorry you're having problems with Sandvox. Could it have something to do with the Mac OS X version you are using? I'm sure the people at Karelia will figure it out for you soon. I have had no problems to date but, I am using the latest Mac OS X version and, as you may have seen, my website is not very complicated. However, I know there are image-intensive Sandvox sites as shown on the sandvoxsites.com site I sent you to.

Good luck. Please keep us informed.
                            Kaye
                            Kaye Mushalik

Comment

I'm not sure what you are looking for in a web site, but if it is a simple website, take a look at Weebly. It won't convert what you have and you can't upload web cards if that is what you are looking for, but it will let you create a simple site with photos. You can click the link in my signature to see the site I created. If you want more information, Caroline Pointer has a series of YouTube videos showing how she uses Weebly to build a family history website.
                              Introduction to How to build a family history website & blog on the Weebly.com platform. [Part 1 of a 3-part video series.]
                              Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
                              http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Working...
                              X