Source / Citation organization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source / Citation organization

If I look at the default source template for "Book" there is a field for "Page". Sounds great, but if you drag the source to another person that's on a different page and change the page number then they all change.

The next obvious solution is one source per page (which means a LOT of sources for a book with 1568 pages), but if you do that you can't see the page number in the source list so you have to select and open the source to find the right page, then drag and drop.

Obvious solution number two is put the page number in the source details. Only one source to drag and drop, type in the page number every time.

Number two seems more practical, but it seems odd that the page number field exists in the source template as the side effect is pretty severe.

Am I missing something?

Re: Source / Citation organization

Originally posted by keithcstone View Post
    If I look at the default source template for "Book" there is a field for "Page". Sounds great, but if you drag the source to another person that's on a different page and change the page number then they all change.

The next obvious solution is one source per page (which means a LOT of sources for a book with 1568 pages), but if you do that you can't see the page number in the source list so you have to select and open the source to find the right page, then drag and drop.

Obvious solution number two is put the page number in the source details. Only one source to drag and drop, type in the page number every time.

Number two seems more practical, but it seems odd that the page number field exists in the source template as the side effect is pretty severe.

Am I missing something?
    No. That is precisely what I do. The source (actually, the CITATION) detail field is the ideal location for page numbers when you are referencing a source with lots of information spread over several pages.

More broadly, I use the citation detail field to fill in the LAST piece of data that completes the citation regardless of source type. The page field in a source would be used only when you have a one-off entry that is used by just one citation.
    Arnold
    -----
    RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Working...
    X