This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entering Multiple Marriage Events

I am still testing the use of Reunion prior to deciding whether I can switch completely from the Windows software I currently use as my main Family History software. I have come across a number of stumbling blocks and the first one I need to resolve is:

How do I enter more than one marriage between the same couple? This includes the following scenarios:

- A couple married at two different churches on the same day, i.e. Ceremonies in both the Groom's and Bride's home Parishes and the parties (including the respective 'clergymen' and witnesses at event) all signed the individual Marriage Registers.

- Non-conformist or Catholic Marriages (not legally recognised in England & Wales) with a later marriage 'legally' performed in an Anglican Church; i.e. Prior to 1837, in England & Wales, all marriages had to be performed by an Anglican Clergyman to be legally recognised and after 1753 (Hardwicke's Act), they had to take place in an Anglican Church. There were some limited exceptions, but those only applied to Jews, Quakers and Royalty.

- One of the parties under age when a marriage took place apparently without parental consent, leading to a later legal marriage in a different church and town after both parties were of age.

- A couple who married, later divorced and then remarried some years after.

Mervyn

Re: Entering Multiple Marriage Events

You can create Custom Events and then use them to store 2nd, 3rd, Conflicting etc Marriages.

From the Family Screen, click on Events

Then on Add Event (at the bottom)

If you've already created the events they'll be in the list, if you haven't already created these extra events click on Event Preferences.

Roger
    Attached Files
    Last edited by theKiwi; 06 July 2015, 09:45 PM.
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

I do like Roger, only I set up the event in the Marriage section.

In the Family View page, click on the Marriage Bar just above the two names.
      Then click on the Events button and follow Roger's directions.
      You then fill in the information as usual and add your source citation.
      Just to make sure, I also entered the information in the Misc. Notes in the Marriage section.

Note that the Marriage Bar has icons showing there are Notes and Events added to that section.

I have not tested to see what these look like in a report. Can tweak that later, if needed.

Here are some screen shots of what I have for one of my remarried couples.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by kmgenealogy; 07 July 2015, 03:55 AM. Reason: Changed attachments to jpeg so can see without downloading images
      Kaye Mushalik
      -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
      -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
      -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Roger & Kaye,

Thanks very much to both of you for the suggestions. I'll work on some custom events/facts using those and see what the presentation looks like.

I was surprised that I couldn't find any standard/built in events to cover at least some of the events, but you've confirmed that I didn't miss anything that should have been obvious. Perhaps something for the 'Wish List' when I've done a bit more work on it.

Mervyn

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
          I do like Roger, only I set up the event in the Marriage section.
          That is exactly where the screen shots I posted came from.

Roger
          Roger Moffat
          http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
          http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by mjashby View Post
            <snip>
            I was surprised that I couldn't find any standard/built in events to cover at least some of the events, but you've confirmed that I didn't miss anything that should have been obvious.
            That's what I like about Reunion. It gives you a broad band of many "basics" but has great flexibility so you can personalize it to your taste or need.

The hard part is the thinking that has to be done to realize what you want to do vs. what you can do. That's where these forums and the manual come in handy! I have learned so much over the years...some things I didn't even realize I wanted to know until they popped up in one of the threads!
            Kaye Mushalik
            -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
              That is exactly where the screen shots I posted came from.
              Sorry, Roger. I didn't pay attention to where your screenshots came from. Assumed (my bad) that you were "talking" about the main Family View events.
              Kaye Mushalik

Comment

Working...
              X