This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source Type

I am just curious as to what others do in this case. I have just entered a source from the California Birth Index and wonder if I should list the Source Type as a "Vital Record or a "Government Record?"
    Thanks,
    Frank
    Frank Zwolinski
    Researching: Zwolinski, Zubris, Ward, Wichlacz, Six, Sidney/Sypniewskie, Rickner, Mulligan, McElroy, Maciejewski, Loisy, Lindsay, Konjey, Konieczki, Janick, Ellis, Cornish, Chlebowski, Sass, Soch.
    MacBook Pro, OS X 10.8.5, Reunion 11, FireFox 38.0.5, Safari 6.2.2

Re: Source Type

I use neither of those. My records are mostly from England and France - you would have to tell me what the US equivalents are. I use ‘Registrar’ for vital records made by government officials, and ‘Parish Record’ for those made by ecclesiastics. In England, registration begins in 1837, and it is much harder to trace people before that date. In France it is easier, because the parish records were all gathered up by the state soon after the Revolution, and therefore are found in the same archives, but still there is a profound change in format. The fields typically needed for a Parish Record are a little different from those for a Registration, so it seemed worth making separate source types.
    Last edited by Michael Talibard; 23 January 2015, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Zwolinski View Post
      I am just curious as to what others do in this case. I have just entered a source from the California Birth Index and wonder if I should list the Source Type as a "Vital Record or a "Government Record?"
      Thanks,
      Frank
      I don't have a source called "Government Record," that must have been something you created at some time.

I always enter birth and death records from the state as "Vital Record" sources.

Hope this helps.
      John Bastin
      jbastin1@me.com
      Researching: Bastin, Decker, Brake, Perry, Schmid, Sheppard, Matty, Fox, Orr, Eicher
      Mac OS X 10.13.4, Reunion 12.0 (Build 180502) 64-bit

Comment

I use Vital Record as my source type for Births. Sometimes from an actual Certificate - mostly British so far - but also from an index or other listing. Same applies for Marriages and Deaths
        Rupert

Researching Large; Cuddon; Ford, Gadsdon and Fletcher

Comment

I have created source types based upon the amount of detail they contain. For example:

Death register: a government register of deaths with a number of records per page.
          Death certificate: single death per page with much more detail than the register.

You might want to create a source type called "birth index". The source type can always be changed at a later date without changing the source information. Lumping is easier than splitting.
          ``````````````````````````````
          Grant

Comment

Thanks folks, Good uggestions.
            F
            Frank Zwolinski
            Researching: Zwolinski, Zubris, Ward, Wichlacz, Six, Sidney/Sypniewskie, Rickner, Mulligan, McElroy, Maciejewski, Loisy, Lindsay, Konjey, Konieczki, Janick, Ellis, Cornish, Chlebowski, Sass, Soch.
            MacBook Pro, OS X 10.8.5, Reunion 11, FireFox 38.0.5, Safari 6.2.2

Comment

Working...
            X