This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reloading Reunion after Yosemite

This may or may not be a Yosemite/Reunion problem but ...

I upgraded to Yosemite and lost Reunion on my mac as well as the backup on an external hard drive after it 'Unexpectedly Quit'. Yes, calamity! But I had exported an up-to-date Gedcom only hours before so that was OK.

Only trouble is, I have imported the Gedcom into a new download of Reunion 10.0.6 and have the following issues:

1) no details for living people - just 'Living' beside their initials - I did not choose that option on Exporting as Gedcom
    2) have updated the Events fields on Preferences to how it was on my original version but while the data shows when I click on a person, it does not show on Family View which it did in my previous version

I have a feeling I just haven't selected something correctly but for the life of me, I can't work out what - can someone guide me?

Thanks in advance

Isabel

Re: reloading Reunion after Yosemite

Please clarify. Which item quit unexpectedly? The hard drive? The Yosemite OS? Or Reunion? Three different answers, at minimum, are possible. Also, do you have Time Machine backing you up?
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
      Please clarify. Which item quit unexpectedly? The hard drive? The Yosemite OS? Or Reunion? Three different answers, at minimum, are possible. Also, do you have Time Machine backing you up?

Hi

It was Reunion that quit unexpectedly and disappeared. Reunion back up was held on an external hard drive on which Time Machine also backed up. The external hard drive spontaneously trashed itself after this and is no longer readable by my Mac - tried Disk Utility and Repair (on MacBook and Mac Mini) but am told the drive cannot be repaired.

I'm back on Reunion now with the Gedcoms imported but with the funny issues I mentioned in my first post.

Comment

Originally posted by Isabel View Post
        I'm back on Reunion now with the Gedcoms imported but with the funny issues I mentioned in my first post.
        GEDCOM files contain your genealogical data, but they don't contain information about how you've configured the Reunion program's preferences. So what you describe is pretty much what you'd expect after importing a GEDCOM into a family file with Reunion configured with default preferences.

You just need to change:
        [1] Preferences -> Privacy & Sensitivity Preferences, Privacy tab -> Who is private
        (uncheck any tick boxes that you don't want the details suppressed on)
        [2] create a new custom view that shows the events you want, and make it your default.
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
          GEDCOM files contain your genealogical data, but they don't contain information about how you've configured the Reunion program's preferences. So what you describe is pretty much what you'd expect after importing a GEDCOM into a family file with Reunion configured with default preferences.

You just need to change:
          [1] Preferences -> Privacy & Sensitivity Preferences, Privacy tab -> Who is private
          (uncheck any tick boxes that you don't want the details suppressed on)
          [2] create a new custom view that shows the events you want, and make it your default.
          Hi Dennis

Thank you for your reply, it's really helpful. It was the configuration of Reunion that I had forgotten how to set up. I've done the custom view perfectly now! I have to concede defeat on the privacy issue as no buttons are checked on the privacy preferences so I think my 'living' people will remain without details.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Isabel View Post
            I have to concede defeat on the privacy issue as no buttons are checked on the privacy preferences so I think my 'living' people will remain without details.
            You're more than welcome.

It's possible that the details of the "Living" people were lost when the GEDCOM was originally exported, so that they weren't in the file you imported. So even if you don't remember selecting that option when you exported the file, maybe you did on this one (and maybe it's worth trying to find another GEDCOM which may have the full information).
            Dennis J. Cunniff
            Click here to email me

Comment

Dennis

You are absolutely right and I must have missed the check somewhere. I tried other trees - Tribal Pages and Ancestry - where I had been careful about the info so no luck.

Never mind, I might have it on hard copy somewhere and one day will update it all!

Thanks for your help

Isabel

Comment

Working...
              X