This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Married twice, source person on descendant chart

I am trying to divide a large tree at a certain generation (in this case 5). Two of the 5 children (at level 6) have married twice, and I find when I set a Descendant chart at each child (level 6), the multiple marriages are not shown. If move to the parent level (5), the multiple marriages (at level 6) are shown.
    Can I make them appear at level 6 (as the source level)?

Re: Married twice, source person on descendant chart

Originally posted by jrmitchell View Post
    I am trying to divide a large tree at a certain generation (in this case 5). Two of the 5 children (at level 6) have married twice, and I find when I set a Descendant chart at each child (level 6), the multiple marriages are not shown. If move to the parent level (5), the multiple marriages (at level 6) are shown.
    Can I make them appear at level 6 (as the source level)?
    I'd say not. The descendants chart shows the descendants of a couple, not of an individual. Hence ALL children are descendants of a given pair of grandparents, but are descendants of one set of parents or the other, and will show depending on which marriage you choose as the source couple - if that makes sense.

Comment

There are things that Reunion will do for you and other things it will allow you to do yourself. This problem has a solution that is a combination of the two.

Here's an explanation of how to do what you want: http://familygraphics.com/HowTo.html#multiple%20spouses. If you don't want to do all the marking in the family file to eliminate unwanted sibling branches, just create the descendant chart from the parents and then delete the unwanted branches in the chart itself. If you delete branches in the chart, you'l probably want to redraw the chart after the branch deletion (Tree ->Orientation->Redraw) to clean up the chart layout.

The main thing is that you have to manually hide the parent box.
      Last edited by ttl; 26 December 2013, 10:29 AM.
      Tim Lundin
      Heartland Family Graphics
      http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
        There are things that Reunion will do for you and other things it will allow you to do yourself. This problem has a solution that is a combination of the two.

Here's an explanation of how to do what you want: http://familygraphics.com/HowTo.html#multiple%20spouses. If you don't want to do all the marking in the family file to eliminate unwanted sibling branches, just create the descendant chart from the parents and then delete the unwanted branches in the chart itself. If you delete branches in the chart, you'l probably want to redraw the chart after the branch deletion (Tree ->Orientation->Redraw) to clean up the chart layout.

The main thing is that you have to manually hide the parent box.
        thanks to all who replied and clarified the issue.

I followed the technique to generate the chart from level 6 (in my example) and then delete the descendant lines I did not want. I found you cannot delete the single box at level 6 but can change the text!

as an aside, I had a lot of trouble using saved boxcharts from pre Mavericks which I could not "Update from Family file" as it crashed on all occasions. Of course they are simple to re-create but tedious...

I create pdfs from my charts and a wishlist item would be a way to connect the chart from master Level 6 chart to the several charts at level 5 by a natty LeisterPro automated pdf linking solution...

HNY!

Comment

Working...
        X