This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family View and more than one marriage

My mother has been married twice. I can choose their husbands and they are displayed in the Marriage Field. In Family View under the Couple Buttons I have a field 'marriage'. If I choose husband one, the marriage-date, place, age (and children) are filled correctly. If I choose husband two, the marriage date under his button is filled correctly, but under my mother's button the field still shows the date and place of the first marriage.

Could someone direct me to a solution? Should I have defined fields for marriage 01, marriage 02 etc.?

Obviously I miss something rather easy. Thank you for any advice!
    Mac OS 10.5.8, OS X 10.11.5, Reunion 10.0.6
    Reunion for iPhone and iPad

Re: Family View and more than one marriage

If I recall correctly, if you put one instance of an event or fact field in the family view layout definition, it will only pull the first piece of data that applies. If you want multiple instances to show, you need to add another copy of the same field to the layout definition. Another way to do it is to use a smart field instead, and that will display all events or facts for that person.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
      If you want multiple instances to show, you need to add another copy of the same field to the layout definition.
      This won't work -- the second display of the field in the Family View will still show the first instance of the event.

I think the issue here is that Ursula is entering the marriage information as a person event instead of as a family event.

My suggestion would be to transfer the marriage information from the person event into the Marriage tab of the Edit Family screen (accessed by clicking the button above and center of the couples name buttons), and delete the marriage person event. The marriage information associated with the couple will then display in that button based on which couple you're viewing.

HTH
      Mark Harrison
      Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        This won't work -- the second display of the field in the Family View will still show the first instance of the event.
        Dang, I usually check before posting but didn't this time. Oh well, glad the real experts are here too.
        Tim Lundin
        Heartland Family Graphics
        http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Thank you, ttl and Mark, for your comments!

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          My suggestion would be to transfer the marriage information from the person event into the Marriage tab of the Edit Family screen (accessed by clicking the button above and center of the couples name buttons), and delete the marriage person event. The marriage information associated with the couple will then display in that button based on which couple you're viewing.
          I did what you propose, but the other way round: I entered the marriage information into the Marriage tab. But since I looked for a way to have informations about other marriages too in Family View, I created personal events for the different marriages, as Tim has proposed, with the above results.

And I had even done some time ago what Tim proposed as solution: Using smart events for the Family View. Unfortunately I had forgotten about it, but
          Mac OS 10.5.8, OS X 10.11.5, Reunion 10.0.6
          Reunion for iPhone and iPad

Comment

Working...
          X