This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

man wed his adopted sister

How do I enter #A who married his adopted sister, #B. They had several children. #B's original surname is known, but not her parents' given names. She is listed in the census with adoptive parents' surname as a child.
    Do I Duplicate #B?
    Thank you.
    Carol

Re: man wed his adopted sister

Originally posted by Rabanus Family View Post
    How do I enter #A who married his adopted sister, #B. They had several children. #B's original surname is known, but not her parents' given names. She is listed in the census with adoptive parents' surname as a child.
    Do I Duplicate #B?
    Thank you.
    Carol
    As a general rule, you should have only one entry per person in your file, so you shouldn't actually duplicate her. If you knew both sets of parents (birth and adoptive), you'd give her two sets of parents, but you only know the adoptive parents, so I wouldn't do anything special other than to make her child status "adopted", and to make a note in "misc. notes" that the situation is indeed as it appears and #A married a child adopted by his parents.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Thank you, Dennis.
      This is a living relative's grandmother, and she would like to see it so that her Mom shows up as their child.
      The way I have it now, the grandmother shows up as great aunt, even when I dragged her from clipboard into the spouse spot of her husband (who is also her step-brother).
      I do know the name the grandmother was born with, so I guess I could set her up with 2 sets of parents?
      Can relationship labels be manually edited for a person?
      Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Rabanus Family View Post
        Thank you, Dennis.
        This is a living relative's grandmother, and she would like to see it so that her Mom shows up as their child.
        The way I have it now, the grandmother shows up as great aunt, even when I dragged her from clipboard into the spouse spot of her husband (who is also her step-brother).
        I do know the name the grandmother was born with, so I guess I could set her up with 2 sets of parents?
        Can relationship labels be manually edited for a person?
        Carol
        I don't know of any way to edit relationship labels within the Reunion database proper. Of course, if you generate a chart or a report that includes the relationship label, you could edit it manually (in the chart editor or word processor), but you'd have to do this for each report or chart.

If you knew the grandmother's biological parents' names, and entered them, and made the biological parents the "preferred" set of parents, she'd show up as grandmother within Reunion because Reunion follows the "preferred" set of parents when making charts or reports. Since you don't know their names precisely, you could enter something like "father of Ann Smith" and "mother of Ann Smith" as parent names, make them the preferred set of parents, and I think you'd get the right relationship labels (but I haven't tested this).
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Working...
        X