This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I avoid duplicates due to alternate names

Particularly for ancient ancestors, alternate names were common. Trivial example -- One source may list William I, another William the Conqueror, and another William I Duke of Normandy.
    This is sometimes further complicated due to multiple spouses. I might find Charles I, King of the Franks married to Disiderata in 770 and also find Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor married to Fastrada in 784. Different names, different spouses, but the same person. How do I avoid entering duplicates when the alternate names are not obvious? What is best practice here? Does RU 11 help me in this regard?

Re: How can I avoid duplicates due to alternate names

Only way I know of is 'Research'.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Re: How can I avoid duplicates due to alternate names

1. Click on anyone's name in the main card area.
      2. Choose the Facts tab
      3. Click Add Field and choose AKA/Alias
      4. Close out that task.

Then
      1. Go to Preferences > Family View
      2. Click Add Field
      3. Choose Facts > Alias/AKA
      4. Close out that task

The first set added a field to use. The second step makes it display on the family card so that you can enter data directly. Note: You will now have that Alias field displayed on every card in the file. If there is any question of "real estate" use of space, you may want to think about it.

That being said, most of us don't have anything like the examples you made. In my case, I have a few people that had legal name changes or changed their name for various reasons. In those cases, I use the later name on the family card and note the previous name in the Notes section.
      Last edited by Bob White; 28 December 2015, 01:46 AM.
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Working...
      X