This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Notes Question

I am considering purchasing the Reunion software. I use an iMac and am currently using the trial version of Reunion to become familiar with it. One of the characteristics I am looking for in genealogy software is using a person’s notes as a type of free-form database that can be globally searched with filters.

In the Note section of the Edit Person view you can enter various pieces of information. Such as what census you may have found the person in, a city where the person lived at one time, a street where they lived, schools, etc. Using Find, Misc. Notes, and Contains, you can then do a search for a specific census, a city, a street, or other key words. A list of results is given on the right side of the screen. So far, it’s good. However, when I click on a person in the results list, it doesn’t take me to the Notes for that particular person, it takes me to the Family View or Tree View with that person shown along with others. I would expect that clicking on the person in the Search Results would take me to that person’s Notes and highlight the particular word or words that I searched for. Would Reunion actually do this? Or, am I missing a preference or a setting to do this? Clicking in the box in front of the name doesn’t seem to have any effect.

Re: Using Notes Question

The find function finds people that have data that meet your search criteria. Clicking on a person will always bring you to their family view.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
      The find function finds people that have data that meet your search criteria. Clicking on a person will always bring you to their family view.
      However, once you're back at the family view, you can show Edit Person > Notes. And then as you click people in the sidebar, their notes will appear (in Edit Person > Notes).
      Frank Leister
      Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeC View Post
        ...I would expect that clicking on the person in the Search Results would take me to that person’s Notes and highlight the particular word or words that I searched for...
        The reason it doesn't do what you describe is because the Find function is a multi-condition search tool.
        If I look for all people whose birth date is before 1900 and whose notes contain "farm" and whose sex is male and whose number of attached multimedia files is greater than 0, then what would Reunion highlight? Database apps, like Reunion and Filemaker, behave this way.
        Frank Leister
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
          However, once you're back at the family view, you can show Edit Person > Notes. And then as you click people in the sidebar, their notes will appear (in Edit Person > Notes).
          That's nice and even better than I was looking for. And, I now understand the Find function is a multi-condition search tool and how it works.

Thank you for your responses.

Comment

Working...
          X