Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which surname to use in multiple marriages?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which surname to use in multiple marriages?

I have an ancestor who has married three times. She is in the family file with her parents and siblings and thus her family surname is shown. She then marries. How should I treat her change of married name each time she re-marries to reflect her new husband's name?

Re: Which surname to use in multiple marriages?

You don't. You add spouses but her name remains her birth name unless there is a name change not related to a marriage.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
      You don't. You add spouses but her name remains her birth name unless there is a name change not related to a marriage.
      Thanks Bob. Keeping to the maiden name makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
        Hi Patricia,

Also, if you have the children in list view (see first attachment), you can add a "Married Name" field which will show the latest married surname for the women. Also, the arrow, to show spouse(s), turns red when there is more than one spouse (male or female).

And, if you want, you can show, on the Family View page, how many spouses each of the parents (couple) have, right inside their button (see second attachment). Just go to Reunion in Menu Bar > Preferences > Family View > General > Couple > Fields > Inside the Couple Buttons > Add Field > # of Spouses.

Hope this is helpful.
        Attached Files
        Kaye Mushalik
        -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
        -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
        -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
          Hi Patricia,

Also, if you have the children in list view (see first attachment), you can add a "Married Name" field which will show the latest married surname for the women. Also, the arrow, to show spouse(s), turns red when there is more than one spouse (male or female).

And, if you want, you can show, on the Family View page, how many spouses each of the parents (couple) have, right inside their button (see second attachment). Just go to Reunion in Menu Bar > Preferences > Family View > General > Couple > Fields > Inside the Couple Buttons > Add Field > # of Spouses.

Hope this is helpful.
          Hi Kaye,
          Thank you for your very helpful response. I followed your instructions to turn on number of spouses and my female ancestor is now showing that she had 3 spouses. I wasn't able to make use of your first instruction regarding the children as I'm having great difficulty in finding any children she may have had with either of her three husbands. Also, I'm unable to find her in any census report. It's almost as though post third marriage she disappeared.

Patricia

Comment

Originally posted by Patricia Hansen View Post
            Hi Kaye,
            Thank you for your very helpful response. I followed your instructions to turn on number of spouses and my female ancestor is now showing that she had 3 spouses. I wasn't able to make use of your first instruction regarding the children as I'm having great difficulty in finding any children she may have had with either of her three husbands. Also, I'm unable to find her in any census report. It's almost as though post third marriage she disappeared.

Patricia
            Hi Patricia,

Re the children's list...I was thinking more of her as a child on her parents' Family View. That would show her last married name. If you do the list view, it will apply to all the Family Views. I like using it because it can show so much information about the couple's child/children.
            Kaye Mushalik
            -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
            -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
            -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Hi Kaye,

Patricia
              Patricia, what was the date of her last marriage? When did she die? Was there a census in that time?
              Steve Kunnmann
              Midlothian, VA

(Kunnmann, Basso, Hoffman, Lutz, Denton, Koster, Canning, Schineller)

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
                Hi Patricia,

Re the children's list...I was thinking more of her as a child on her parents' Family View. That would show her last married name. If you do the list view, it will apply to all the Family Views. I like using it because it can show so much information about the couple's child/children.
                Thanks Kaye, I see what you mean. Also, I've just noticed that since I added "number of spouses" a series of small boxes for Clergy, Earliest Ancestor, Military, Private and Research Complete have appeared on all family files. I've no idea what this means!

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve K View Post
                  Patricia, what was the date of her last marriage? When did she die? Was there a census in that time?
                  Steve, Elen's last marriage took place September 1869. She died April 1893. As for census she should have appeared in 1841, 1851,1861, 1871 1881 and even 1891, but so far I haven't been able to find her in any one of the decades.
                  Patricia

Comment

I've just noticed that since I added "number of spouses" a series of small boxes for Clergy, Earliest Ancestor, Military, Private and Research Complete have appeared on all family files. I've no idea what this means!
                    It suggests you added "Flags — Check box buttons" to the family view. It's on the "Add Field" pull-down menu. If you want to remove them you can do it by highlighting it and clicking on remove.
                    Dennis J. Cunniff
                    Click here to email me

Comment

Steve, Elen's last marriage took place September 1869. She died April 1893. As for census she should have appeared in 1841, 1851,1861, 1871 1881 and even 1891, but so far I haven't been able to find her in any one of the decades.
                      Patricia
                      Patricia,

It would be very strange if she managed to avoid being recorded in all censuses between 1841 and 1891. Presumably she should have appeared either in the Scotland or England & Wales returns. If you are willing to provide information on her age, various surnames and marriage years I could run some searches against the FindMyPast and Ancestry indexes to see if a fresh mind might uncover anything. I can provide a contact e-mail if you would prefer not to post details in the forum.

Mervyn

Comment

Originally posted by mjashby View Post
                        Patricia,

It would be very strange if she managed to avoid being recorded in all censuses between 1841 and 1891. Presumably she should have appeared either in the Scotland or England & Wales returns. If you are willing to provide information on her age, various surnames and marriage years I could run some searches against the FindMyPast and Ancestry indexes to see if a fresh mind might uncover anything. I can provide a contact e-mail if you would prefer not to post details in the forum.

Mervyn
                        That's very kind of you. Yes, please let me know your email so that I can send Elen's details. As you kindly say, a fresher pair of eyes can make the difference. I've searched every which way to no avail so far.

Thank you.
                        Patricia

Comment

Patricia,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you - I've been away for a long (wet) weekend.

You can contact me direct at mjashby[at]hotmail[dot]co[dot]uk

Hope I can help - It's still extremely wet in North Yorkshire, so it's ideal summer weather for doing some desk-based research!

Mervyn

Comment

Working...
                          X