ReunionTalk  
Go Back   ReunionTalk > Using Software & Hardware with Reunion

Closed Thread

Old 09 March 2005, 04:01 PM

Question exporting Reunion to a relational database

For purposes of publication (on paper) it seems that merely printing the Index display is inadequate because, for example, it will only show the preferred spouse. Has anyone exported Reunion's data to a file where all spouses, marriage dates, etc. may be provided for each individual?
Old 09 March 2005, 08:39 PM

Default Re: exporting Reunion to a relational database

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandm
...snip... Has anyone exported Reunion's data to a file where all spouses, marriage dates, etc. may be provided for each individual?
I would love to hear if anyone has ported to Filemaker to allow me to do comparisons, searches, etc in that format?
Old 09 March 2005, 09:51 PM

Quote:
For purposes of publication (on paper) it seems that merely printing the Index display is inadequate because, for example, it will only show the preferred spouse. Has anyone exported Reunion's data to a file where all spouses, marriage dates, etc. may be provided for each individual?
I have only taken a quick look but I believe you can do what you want, however the spouses and dates require some calculations after the records are imported to FM. Use the export text and select the fields you want to import to FM. Only the first spouse can be directly imported but by using a script for all the records showing mutiple spouses I believe it would be possible to add the names of the other spouses to separate fields in each record. All spouses are imported to the "name field" so they are all available in the file and are cross referenced through the "spouse field". I haven't actually developed a script to make this work. It's possible that using a calculation field would be easier.
Old 09 March 2005, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheski
I would love to hear if anyone has ported to Filemaker to allow me to do comparisons, searches, etc in that format?
This evening I experimented and was able to successfully export a selected group of individuals to a File Maker file. I'm thinking about a surname project and believe that Filemaker will facilitate the process.
Jim Selover
Old 10 March 2005, 03:52 AM

Thumbs up Re: exporting Reunion to a relational database

Quote:
Might be I do not understand your question correct.
But ... Find AnyThing -> Couples -> Attributes -> #of Spouses NotEqual 0
In the Found list ANY person with a marriage is mentioned.
A person who married twice, is mentioned twice etc.
Make your choices in the next columns (blue arrows), fieldnames, total of columm etc. and make a report with tabs.
You can import this in any database or spreadsheet and play with all the extra possibilities of a database.

Frans van Bodegom
Old 10 March 2005, 12:06 PM

Quote:
TNG or The Next Generation is a PHP based software application that uses MySQL as a relational database. By exporting a gedcom file from Reunion and processing it with code in TNG it will load MySQL with all the data in the gedcom.

This application can be seen at:
http://lythgoes.net/genealogy/software.php
Old 12 March 2005, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjvanbodegom
Might be I do not understand your question correct.
But ... Find AnyThing -> Couples -> Attributes -> #of Spouses NotEqual 0
In the Found list ANY person with a marriage is mentioned.
A person who married twice, is mentioned twice etc.
Make your choices in the next columns (blue arrows), fieldnames, total of columm etc. and make a report with tabs.
You can import this in any database or spreadsheet and play with all the extra possibilities of a database.

Frans van Bodegom
I followed the above example and the results don't seem to make any sense. In my file I get 293 couples with 2 spouses even thoough there are only 28 individuals in my file with 2 spouses.
As an example, I have one individual that comes up with 2 spouses when the above procedure is followed but in the index he is listed with one spouse. Actually he has never been married but has a child. This couple is listed as unmarried on the family card. Am I missing something here?

S. Kennedy
Old 14 March 2005, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Kennedy
I followed the above example and the results don't seem to make any sense. In my file I get 293 couples with 2 spouses even thoough there are only 28 individuals in my file with 2 spouses.
As an example, I have one individual that comes up with 2 spouses when the above procedure is followed but in the index he is listed with one spouse. Actually he has never been married but has a child. This couple is listed as unmarried on the family card. Am I missing something here?

S. Kennedy
Yes you are right, that is the wrong way because an individual (even he/she is not married) has a person and a family number.

So try this: Find AnyThing -> Couples ->Husbant's Name is not empty and Wife's Name is not empty.

Frans van Bodegom
Old 18 March 2005, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheski
I regularly export my family file to FileMaker via GEDCOM.

I've written an AppleScript which reads the fields I'm interested in and populates a FileMaker database (which is used as an intermediary to other FileMaker databases).

You're welcome to a copy 'as is, where is'. E-mail me if interested.

Cheers
Old 18 March 2005, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Robinson
I regularly export my family file to FileMaker via GEDCOM.

I've written an AppleScript which reads the fields I'm interested in and populates a FileMaker database (which is used as an intermediary to other FileMaker databases).

You're welcome to a copy 'as is, where is'. E-mail me if interested.

Cheers
I have considered the AS route but I'm not very good at scripting. I would be interested in a copy of the AS.

I have been working to import my Reunion file directly to Filemaker and have been stymied by finding that the imported text file of individuals contains many errors. I don't have time or space to cover all of these but examples are that the name suffix field is wrong for most records and in most cases the total children doesn't match the sum of male, female and unknown. I have checked many of these errors in the reunion file and in all cases the Reunion file was correct. I also opened the tab delimited text file and found the same errors there so it appears that the Reunion export function is at fault.

What I am wondering is if anyone can confirm these errors with their files. I would appreciate any feedback here. I have repeated the export/import effort 4 times with the same results but maybe I am missing something.

BTW, importing to FMaker helped me to find some spouse errors in my Reunion file by sorting in the Spouse and name fields and looking for duplicates. This also led me to the problem with name suffixs. I had made a calculated field using the last name,first name and suffix to produce a full name field that would match the spouse name field. This caused the incorrect suffixs to really stand out as I could seldom match a spouse name field to an individual full name as calculated.

S. Kennedy

ReunionTalk > Using Software & Hardware with Reunion > exporting Reunion to a relational database