ReunionTalk  
Go Back   ReunionTalk > Using Older Versions of Reunion

Closed Thread

Old 13 March 2006, 07:10 PM

Question Searchable Detail Field in Sources

There still doesn't seem to be a way to do a "find anything" in the detail field for sources, at least I've not been able to find it.

In my two main family files (one with 5759 people and 536 sources, and the other with 3965 people and 241 sources), I have MUCH important information in the detail fields for my sources, and not being able to locate this information when I need it is much more than merely frustrating. (If I'd realized all this way back when I started using Reunion back at about version 3, I probably would have figured out a better way to enter my sources!)

I PRAY somebody can tell me there really is a way to search information in my detail fields! Or perhaps this is something that is definitely in the works for the next version?
Old 15 March 2006, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Searchable Detail Field in Sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Morris
There still doesn't seem to be a way to do a "find anything" in the detail field for sources, at least I've not been able to find it.

In my two main family files (one with 5759 people and 536 sources, and the other with 3965 people and 241 sources), I have MUCH important information in the detail fields for my sources, and not being able to locate this information when I need it is much more than merely frustrating. (If I'd realized all this way back when I started using Reunion back at about version 3, I probably would have figured out a better way to enter my sources!)

I PRAY somebody can tell me there really is a way to search information in my detail fields! Or perhaps this is something that is definitely in the works for the next version?
Same here. This is an issue that I have begged for for ages - that ALL cells in Reunion be searchable.

PLEASE???
Old 15 March 2006, 08:03 AM

Thumbs up Re: Searchable Detail Field in Sources

In V8.06, while not directly accessible from "Find Anything", if you
List
Sources
then click on the "Source Tools" button,
around about the middle is "Find Text in Source Fields " (Cmd F)
The next screen allows you to select a source type ( or leave the default All),
and then search on specific fields or the free-form field
Once the results are displayed the individuals cards can be marked ...
from there it is a simple task to use "Find Anything" with the first condition
Person Marked Yes
Old 15 March 2006, 07:44 PM

Peter - I have posted on this problem earlier - the Detail we want to be able to search is the box that is to the right of the Source Citation box, which appears to be a separate field of its own. It is not a sub-set of the Source field; and so can't be searched by the method you've described unfortunately.

Being able to search and list this is the absolute highest item on my agenda.

Regards
Sue Royce
Twizel Nz
Old 20 March 2006, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue royce
the Detail we want to be able to search is the box that is to the right of the Source Citation box
It's a bit of hard work, but you can search it by creating a report, then searching the report with a word processor
Old 20 March 2006, 02:33 PM

Unhappy Re: Searchable Detail Field in Sources

Thanks for all your input. I'm at least encouraged to know this is something others have been wanting and needing. For a moment there, I thought Tom Robinson might be onto something, but after multiple attempts and manipulations, find it's truly impossible to do what I need. I now rue the day I ever entered a single character into the "detail" field for my free form sources!
Old 22 March 2006, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Morris
but after multiple attempts and manipulations, find it's truly impossible to do what I need
Which bit is impossible? If you create a report or export a GEDCOM, you can then search that for the source detail field. Granted, you have to regularly refresh the report/GEDCOM, but at least you _can_ search it...
Old 22 March 2006, 04:17 PM

Default Re: FileMaker and Census Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Robinson
For census records, I have one source for each census (1861, 1871, etc.), then a FileMaker database which links a person to a census sheet. The database basically contains Reunion Person ID, census class (year), piece, folio, page.
Tom,
That sounds like a great idea. Is it possible for you to post a template of the FileMaker file, so we can all utilize your method without reinventing the wheel?
Old 23 March 2006, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Hendricks
Tom, That sounds like a great idea. Is it possible for you to post a template of the FileMaker file, so we can all utilize your method without reinventing the wheel?
Yes I agree this is a great idea, what would be even better is if it were possible to create a hot link direct from a Reunion family card to the person in the FileMaker database. Is this possible?
Old 24 March 2006, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Hendricks
That sounds like a great idea. Is it possible for you to post a template of the FileMaker file, so we can all utilize your method without reinventing the wheel?
Sure. I've made a proper page of my Reunion bits & pieces, and included this one:

http://www.tomrobinson.co.nz/genealogy/reunion.html

Last edited by Tom Robinson; 30 April 2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Updated link
Closed Thread

ReunionTalk > Using Older Versions of Reunion > Searchable Detail Field in Sources