Citation for dna match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Citation for dna match

I have just established a dna match, through Ancestrydna, to a family that I have long speculated were likely to be my 2nd great grandfather's parents--John H. Ralston and Rachel Forst. There has not previously been any solid documentation for this possible relationship, being based solely on repeated geographic proximity and on naming patterns. I now have a dna match to a descendant of John Forst, who is the confirmed brother of Rachel Forst. How would I write citation information in this situation?

Re: Citation for dna match

Originally posted by Deborah Sparbel View Post
    I have just established a dna match, through Ancestrydna, to a family that I have long speculated were likely to be my 2nd great grandfather's parents--John H. Ralston and Rachel Forst. There has not previously been any solid documentation for this possible relationship, being based solely on repeated geographic proximity and on naming patterns. I now have a dna match to a descendant of John Forst, who is the confirmed brother of Rachel Forst. How would I write citation information in this situation?
    I have a DNA note, in which I would say something like "Jezebel Forst (RIN=3247) and Deborah Sparbel (RIN=1) have a DNA match for a total of 32.5 cM reported on Ancestry.com, for an estimated relationship of 3rd to 5th cousins".

If further information is available (say, # of segments, length of longest segment, match on which chromosome, or other people in the family file who match the same segment) I'd also include that.

But Ancestry doesn't report the location of the matches, and sort of hides the length in centimorgans (if you are having trouble finding it: use the "View Match" button, and click the lowercase "i" in a grey circle near the confidence rating, and you should see something like "364 centimorgans shared across 21 DNA segments" pop up.)
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Re: Citation for dna match

Dennis' suggestion is very good.

I also created two flags, one "DNA Match on Ancestry" and the other "DNA Match on FTDNA." I've set my Family View preferences to display flags in the person's button/box, so I use those DNA flags for these types of situations to show me immediately when looking at a person that it's a DNA match, before I even get to reading the Notes section for them.

Susan

Comment

Working...
      X